Seatbelt light flashing, K12

Suddenly, my red seat belt light has started flashing.

I think its the seat belt, there's a line that goes from top Left to bottom Right in it.

Any clues on how to fix this?

I haven't changed anything but an MOT approaches.

Thanks

Well this:-
index.53.jpg

is the seat belt warning sign on the K12....
Assuming it is the seat belt light that is flashing, the fact that it hasn't triggered an audible alarm after about 20 seconds says to me that the 'fault' is in the passenger seat, not the driver's. Try fastening the passenger seat belt. If this turns the light off then the fault is in the switch circuit in that seat that is designed to sense someone sitting in the seat......Check the wiring/connectors under the seat, though the switch is a strong contender.

Thanks for the info.

The light is on permanently, when the ignition is on.
The passenger seat has been tried as you suggested - but no luck.
Where is the switch, should I just replace it?

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

The light is on permanently, when the ignition is on.
The passenger seat has been tried as you suggested - but no luck.
Where is the switch, should I just replace it?

Thanks
Well if fastening the seat belt didn't put the light out then the pressure switch contacts in the seat base would appear not to be the problem....The switch in the seat belt socket is shown as normally open with the belt unfastened and the circuit closes with the belt plugged in. The switch circuit feeds into the main instrument cluster but nowhere in the circuit diagram shown in the Haynes book of lies can I find the seat pad pressure switch....everything seems to be controlled by the CANBUS. It would appear that you either have some damaged wiring under one of the seats, or perhaps a connector there unplugged? It might however, be a glitch in the CANBUS controlled Body Control Module, which often can be cured by re-setting it by disconnecting the battery for 30 secs or so.
I had a problem where the rear wiper (which is also controlled by the BCM) on my K12 stopped working and doing the battery disconnect cured the problem. If you haven't got the lock code at hand for your radio, make sure the radio is physically turned off before disconnecting the batter and don't leave the battery disconnected for more than about 30 seconds or it may need the code input to unlock it (with the radio turned OFF the residual power held by capacitors in the circuit will retain the code for a short time with the battery disconnected).

Here is a photo of a loose wire under the passenger seat.

Can anyone tell me where this goes, I can't find a socket anywhere.

On the drier seat, there is a connection going into the underside of the chair frame, but I can't find anything there on the passenger side.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180124_131037j.jpg
    IMG_20180124_131037j.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 2,490
Turns out this is the heater wire, nothing to do with the flashing passenger seat belt light.

I tried disconnecting the battery but no luck - any more ideas?

Thanks

Turns out this is the heater wire, nothing to do with the flashing passenger seat belt light.

I tried disconnecting the battery but no luck - any more ideas?

Thanks

The spring loaded seat belt pretensioner reel retractor/ switch assembly can be inspected, cleaned, lubricated and continuity tested/ repaired. The following K11 threads and photos may help as seat belts are similar?

The belts can become stiff with age/use related ingrained dirt and washing drying the belts can restore belt flexibility to enable full retraction to auto reset operate the micro switch sensor circuit for each use operation?
https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/airbag-light-flashing.67646/#post-750423
https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/airbag-light-flashing.67646/#post-750423

Good luck ;)

Thanks for your suggestion - will try

Though I have been told it will pass MOT with seatbelt light flashing, which is a relief.

Last edited:
Back