Seat removal

Hi guys, new to the forum here, and I would just like to point out I am 100% new to anything car related. Basically, I've got some new car seat covers, but to get them to fit properly, I need to remove the rear seats (bit you sit on, not so much the back part). I've tried pulling it up which unhooks it from the base, but then it doesn't wanna move anywhere. Do I need to do anything specific, if so with what tools? Remember complete noob here. Everything in lamens terms!

Hi frank, haha thanks for replying! Could you be little bit more specific. I have no idea what it is that you mean. Step by step would be useful if that's okay?

1. Pulled the back seat up with force which released it from the seat.
2. After pulling it up, it won't physically detach from the base, it feels like it's bolted in place or something.

To remove your rear bench you have to remove the back rest first by folding it down and removing the 4 screwhead bolts from the backrest you can then see the 2 bolts under the boot carpet that hold in the bench, remove those leave the middle one thats only for the seatbelt

Now go through your front doors fold your seats forward and pull up the seats as hard as you can mind your head on the ceeling when you do this im a bit on the tall side and the roof hurts ill tell you that now

Hope this helps :)

Your friendly local mechanic in training -Sploshua

Just a quick update guys. I've install my new pedals, black chrome which look awesome. However the bolts that Sploshua mentioned cannot be removed with a Phillips screwdriver as Frank suggested. The flat head was too big and the cross head just rotated because the bolts are on so tight. Can anyone think of anything else that can get these little suckers out?

Yeah frank no problem. They are in so tight that the screw driver just wouldn't cut it.

Attachments

• BOLTS.jpg
    BOLTS.jpg
    798.5 KB · Views: 799
If ya buy the multi fit sockets, they fit torx bolts too, where them you posted won't , just a thought before ya start buying tools.

Say again andy.... why is this such a mountain to climb. All I want to do is remove a backseat... that is literally it. One step forward and two steps back. So what it is exactly that I need to buy in order to remove those bolts from the picture. :(

Funny you should say that Andy, I drove up there a good couple of weeks ago! We were disappointed with the city center though, I'm sorry to report ;-). Cheers though pal, but yeah a bit far from middlesbrough :) Also pleased to report fellas that I successfully removed the back seat and got the covers installed. Cost me 25 quid for a ratchet set tho :(

Last edited:
Funny you should say that Andy, I drove up there a good couple of weeks ago! We were disappointed with the city center though, I'm sorry to report ;-). Cheers though pal, but yeah a bit far from middlesbrough :) Also pleased to report fellas that I successfully removed the back seat and got the covers installed. Cost me 25 quid for a ratchet set tho :(

no probs fella :p
yeah but ya got some tools for next job :D

keep buying them till ya have a big red box full :D

haha, brilliant!! Yeah, luckily I did not need to remove the seat base, I just tucked it under. However removing the back rest was a must. I can't believe how small the socket kit ratchet was though!!! it's bloody tiny! Christ knows how this is supposed to do 'most bolts' on a car.

mine since 2010 still going strong after engine swap, clutch, flywheel bolts, road wheels on and off, full exhaust work, $o on and so on more cash in the pocket for other things to blow on:)

I know this is not the topic that I set up, however does anyone have any experience with after market steering wheels. This is the next thing I'd like to do to my little micra. However I'm not sure about the legality, road safety issues, removing airbags, it's resale ability, insurance etc.

I know this is not the topic that I set up, however does anyone have any experience with after market steering wheels. This is the next thing I'd like to do to my little micra. However I'm not sure about the legality, road safety issues, removing airbags, it's resale ability, insurance etc.
As for removing airbags and legality of after market wheels...

1. Yes they are legal and will pass an MOT as long as the airbag light is not actovated by the installation you will have to make sure you get a boss kit that will stop the airbag system thinking it has a blown airbag to prevent the others randomly exploding under use.

2. When removing the stock wheel make sure you disconnect the battery for 40min before unplugging the airbag it has a resistor to store power for exploding the airbag in the event of the battery being disconnected under a crash.

3. Most insurance compannies will take an aftermarket wheel as a interior modification like putting a toy on your parcel shelf as long as its q repitable wheel you are installing not q £30 flimsy ebay knockoff.

If you have any othet quistions about this matter pm me and i can help you find the right wheel for you ^^

cheers Sploshua, just like to say this is probably one of the most civilized forums I've had the pleasure of using, and such helpful friendly chaps! Okay, well I've done some home work splosh, don't worry I'm not totally lazy. From what I can gather, I need a mountney boss kit and then I have a list of available makes of steering wheels that will fit the boss kit.

Good luck on finding the right wheel for you and keep in mind if you dont have power steering in your model dont get a small wheel the bigger wheels will be easier to turn without it

just a quick update guys, I've purchased a simoni steering wheel, boss kit, screws, warning light canceller and horn ring. Also I've ordered a Haynes Nissan manual 199X - 200X and a socket set.

Nice i need to pickup the hayness oj payday even tho i have access to most of the data on autodata

Hi guys, very pissed off so please allow me to vent :) basically, did everything that you suggested... anyway after lots of 'ums and hmms' I took it to a garage. Turns out it's a very specifically designed SECURITY T50 bolt (anti tamper!!!) which stumped about 5 different garages. THEN, when a garage actually said to me 'oh yeah, we have the the tool to remove, it no problem, 10 quid to fit your wheel' he rang me 2 hours later and said 'it's not going fit, did nobody actually tell you that to make room for the boss kit you have to remove the steering wheel cowl, which in turn means you will lose your indicator and washer stalks' I said ... errr no they did not. Because they stripped it down and obviously took man power and time, I still cost me the 10 quid... anyway, bollocks to this car nonsense. Thanks again anyway.

I'd go back to that garage and ask them if they know what the hell they're doing, you don't need to remove anything other than the steering wheel and airbag squib

I'd go back to that garage and ask them if they know what the hell they're doing, you don't need to remove anything other than the steering wheel and airbag squib
What do you mean Karl? It was an actual garage who took it apart. My model is K11 2000 with fitted airbag. But they said Boss kits and after market wheels are essentially designed for off road where generally speaking, those things don't matter. But obviously no indicators or wipers would A. Fail the mot and B. potentially dangerous.

Back