Seat belts

Both the fron seat belts on my 99 reg do not fully retract without feeding them in. I have cleaned and given them a lube but still the same. I took one apart only for the spring to pop out lol. Took me an hour to compress it back together enough for it to feed back the same as it did before:wasntme:

Will it fail an mot for that issue? The drivers one is also a little frayed on the edge though its not come up as an advisory on any of the last 3 mots,

I may change em unless there is an easy way to sort em. Maybe I lubed the wrong part or the springs are just tired.

Any help appreciated.

g_attrill

Buy & Sell Member
Hand feeding the seatbelt is allowable for the MOT, I think most testers are quite lenient and will only fail it if the retractor is clearly broken in some way and not just tired. They will be fine with hand feeding it up through the loop, if it needs to be pulled down into the reel then you might have a problem.

Fraying should be fine too unless it's major, actual cuts from specific damage would be a no-no.

OP
OP
W
Thats cool, I will live with em then as its just the last 15 inches that dont go in without help and the fraying is more like bobbling like you get on jumpers. No doubt new ones will be pricey too.

g_attrill

Buy & Sell Member
I nearly bought a Subaru Legacy once, it had obviously been used to carry a dog cage in the front seat for many years (belted to the seat), the seat belt was severely frayed/worn almost halfway through, and it had a fresh MOT from the dealership. I had to pull out because the insurance was sky-high and the dealer had the cheek to complain that they had spent a lot of time replacing the seat belt for me!

OP
OP
W
Sounds about right for a dealership. Hopefully mine will be unaffected by them as dont wanna spend too much on her as she only cost me £800.

Thanks again.