Scary... Gearbox.

phil.marsh

Buy & Sell Member
My car has been playing up. It's been making a grinding/whining sound when changing down from second to first.

Just now I was reversing and it felt like I hit a curb (no curbs in sight) tried to change back to first wouldn't go in and same with second. It works now what could this be?

My car has been playing up. It's been making a grinding/whining sound when changing down from second to first.

Just now I was reversing and it felt like I hit a curb (no curbs in sight) tried to change back to first wouldn't go in and same with second. It works now what could this be?

oh dear, i had the same problem in my gearbox, i was on my way to pick up a new one when it just exploded, all the teeth were missing from most of the gears and had got stuck in other gears, the whole shaft had jumped out of the box and through the clutch bell housing which had locked the clutch up. there is no cure other than a new box.

Thing is it works fine now. Weather it needs oil? Or it's just screwed?

yea mine did too, it drove around, it might grind a bit now and again, but then it just went bang. i think what happens is it looses a tooth and then every time the gear slips it bashes off another tooth until it all goes wrong

I alway check my engine oil but I always thought the gearbox oil should last the lifetime of the gear box.

I just spoke to my mate who's a mechanic. Apparently I might have over tightened the clutch cable?

Found out the problem!!! The gear changing was me thinking I tightened the clutch but I actually loosened it. Tightened it up and sorted the changing problem topped up the transmission oil (was at the half way mark) but still making the noise when changing down to first. Done my research and found out it's the synchromesh on first gear. How would I replace this?

Money is my only set back ;) as long as I know it's not serious I know I can stil start from first changing down is the only issue

Back