Saying goodbye to my K11.

The trailing arm brackets, panhard rod mount, and axle chassis mounts are all dangerously corroded.
They must have put tons of salt on the roads during the last Scottish winter. Plus the bushes rubbing
on the metal made them thinner. I asked my local garage if they would weld it up and they refused
as it would not be strong enough. Also, MOT rules indicate that repairs to highly stress components
are unacceptable. I may be able to remove the trailing arm brackets and make new ones, but the
problem is getting a strong weld that will pass the MOT. Plus, the other mounts would need to be
cut out and somehow reconstructed. Not a job I can without a workshop as it would mean removing
the axle and petrol tank and seats. But I'm getting a K13, so my days with micras are not over.
IMG_3241.jpg IMG_3242.jpg IMG_3243.jpg

that is fixable, either chop from another or chop the rot and fab new with some thicker steel plate ,
It's on the chassis leg so don't need to strip the car much, if any really same for the panhard mount
your going too far into the book there,
My dad's pickup been chopped inhalf and had a complete rear chassis fab up its stronger then factory haha,

OP
OP
davidxzy
that is fixable, either chop from another or chop the rot and fab new with some thicker steel plate ,
It's on the chassis leg so don't need to strip the car much, if any really same for the panhard mount
your going too far into the book there,
My dad's pickup been chopped inhalf and had a complete rear chassis fab up its stronger then factory haha,

In my heart, I want to fix it, but the car is parked on a main road and that's where I have to work on it. It's too much work to take all my gear out to the car and back in again at the end of the day. Plus there is the risk of injuring someone walking past while welding or doing other things.

OP
OP
davidxzy
That degree of corrosion has not happened over one winter. I can't believe that warning signs were not picked up on previous MOT's and acted on..... :(

I have had lots of MOTs from the same guy with very few advisories. I was begining to wonder about that.

They do hide rust in places, like I have track rods fail within a few days of a mot , my pickup had a rotten floor and it was not seen, Tbh it was bad but in plain sight just it looked fine ,it was until I took the carpet out and step mount found it was rotten , wasn t the mot fault

OP
OP
davidxzy
They do hide rust in places, like I have track rods fail within a few days of a mot , my pickup had a rotten floor and it was not seen, Tbh it was bad but in plain sight just it looked fine ,it was until I took the carpet out and step mount found it was rotten , wasn t the mot fault

I'll be going over the k13 I got recently with a fine tooth comb. Yes, carpets can be damp for years due to a small leak somewhere and you only know about it when a rotten hole appears underneath.