Saved from the rain.

Hi all, my 96 1.3 GX leaks in all the wrong places.
I vinyl wrapped and cut a sheet of magnetic roll, the type used for temporary signage on cars, to cover the sunroof.
The interior is now bone dry.

Attachments

• 20191006_175805.jpg
    20191006_175805.jpg
    865.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 20191006_175814.jpg
    20191006_175814.jpg
    914.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 20191006_175833.jpg
    20191006_175833.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 163
I think the entire sunroof tray is slightly loose from the roof itself, so after heavy rain water spills over onto the headliner.
I've solved most of the typical leaks through articles on this forum.
I think the sunroof glass spongy surround is more deteriorated than it looks, letting more water in and causing the overflow.
I've unclogged the drain pipes, sealed the clips under the scuttle tray, but under heavy rain the sills flood and water spills into the passenger footwell.

Covering the sunroof entirely has prevented this, and is a semi-permanent solution until summer arrives and I can drill drainage holes and pass the drainage pipes through the sills.

I think the entire sunroof tray is slightly loose from the roof itself, so after heavy rain water spills over onto the headliner.
I've solved most of the typical leaks through articles on this forum.
I think the sunroof glass spongy surround is more deteriorated than it looks, letting more water in and causing the overflow.
I've unclogged the drain pipes, sealed the clips under the scuttle tray, but under heavy rain the sills flood and water spills into the passenger footwell.

Covering the sunroof entirely has prevented this, and is a semi-permanent solution until summer arrives and I can drill drainage holes and pass the drainage pipes through the sills.

That's great where did you get this material from, may consider doing this as my sunroof leaks on the right corner when it's heavily raining :ROFLMAO:

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Hi all, my 96 1.3 GX leaks in all the wrong places.
I vinyl wrapped and cut a sheet of magnetic roll, the type used for temporary signage on cars, to cover the sunroof.
The interior is now bone dry.
You sir, are a genius. Simple solutions are always best

Sent from my LG K11+ (yes I did buy the phone specifically to have a K11 phone, I'm that sad)

the whole thing being magnetic probably helps, and with it being bigger than just the glass too

I remember when I first passed my test my ma bought me P plates, which flew off within about 10 minutes. Needless to say I didn't get out and look for them, didn't want them on my car to begin with ?

Can't really find anything online that matches yours @JacksonPollock. Any suggestions if you know where to find any online
The magnetic roll comes on a roll. Like a roll of fabric or vinyl.
I measured the sunroof and offset the size to allow full coverage.
Try a signage shop, any signage place that does vehicle graphics should have a roll of magnetic roll in stock.
It is expensive, the roll I used worked out to £90 per square meter. I also used a cast vinyl, which is a vehicle application grade vinyl that lasts for approx 10 years.
Fortunately this was all available at my work so didn't cost me anything except some time to measure and draw up a cut file to use with the CNC machine.

@JacksonPollock I finally did this the other day and it seems to do the trick. I have had no leaks at all and it hasn't came off. At the moment, I've took the car up to 50mph and it's still on there. I got it for £8 on ebay. Totally worth it ?

Thanks for the idea @JacksonPollock

Attachments

• IMG_4348.JPG
    IMG_4348.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4349.JPG
    IMG_4349.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4350.JPG
    IMG_4350.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 157