Sat nav cracked my windscreen!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
As also mentioned in my blog, I was putting the suction cup sat nav mount on my windscreen this morning, and when i secured it, a 7" crack appeared behind it. Why would this happen!!? Anyone heard of this happening before?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
may be just cause its a corsa? in all seriousness wind screens can be quite easy to break pushing from the inside.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I pushed it on then it had a securing thing, and it cracked when i pulled the lever to secure it on. Ollie said it was because it's a Corsa it did that too! never realised they were so weak.

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
I pushed it on then it had a securing thing, and it cracked when i pulled the lever to secure it on. Ollie said it was because it's a Corsa it did that too! never realised they were so weak.

You're better off securing it on a corner of the windscreen, whenever I nick someones sat nav, I install it by the driver side A pillar. Stronger point of the windscreen.

I think Vauxhall do use a glass whichh is made from cheese and sand though.

Faults so far:
1. Cracked Windscreen
2. Stalling Problem
3. No back box
4. Damage to front bumper and number plate

Have I missed anything?

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
The seat belt unclips itself!

& yeah i guess that's a better place to put it. My k10 it was in the middle and never had any problems. I'l leave it in the middle now though the damage is already done. Cheese & sand lol

Hugh

Probably a weakness in the screen.

I've seen a screen crack when adjusting the internal mirror.

Just one of those things, and possibly poor Vauxhall parts lol

Titch

Micra K11ng
No - its your Satnavs way of saying listen to me - take a wrong turn and I'll crack the engine head!

Or its just cause its a Corsa.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
corsacrack.JPG

Antony

Ex. Club Member
just for everyones reference..... having the navigation unit (or anything for that matter) on your windscreen in the swept area (ie the middle) is against the law and can land you a fine of £60.

you cannot have anything in the drivers field of view, the corner of the screen near the Apillar is classed as a blind spot and so can have a mulititude of items afixed there.

dang shame tho, but after personaly fitting 10000000's of navigation units into peoples cars (working for europes largest navigation retailer halfords) i have never ever seen that happen before. thats just cos its a corsa!

Robb

Site Supporter
Thats a peculiar crack! Thought it would continue to an edge like. Unfortunate chap.

Antony i had no idea about it being illegal to put it there, better spread the word! (Y)

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
you cannot have anything in the drivers field of view, the corner of the screen near the Apillar is classed as a blind spot and so can have a mulititude of items afixed there.

That's why i put it there, so i can see the road & the sat nav at the same time ;). Didn't know it was illegal though.

MicraFish

Rollin' with Diesel and V8 Power
I've had the satnav in the middle of my screen countless times and passing police cars have never stopped me? Plus I have air freshners hanging from the rearview mirror, so them plus satnav and I've never got pulled over?
I know it's illegal to have stuff dangling from the rearview like fluffy dice and stuff - bid ol' obstructing stuff - but the satnavs, something I haven't heard before?

Antony

Ex. Club Member
yep, so a chip on the windscreen in the swept area on a mot failure sheet states "obstructing drivers view" but a sat nav sat there wont?...lol

theres got to be nothing on the screen at all where the wipers pass (even sunstrips) hence why i now have tiny wipers on me car..lol

MicraFish

Rollin' with Diesel and V8 Power
it's a chip of a particular size though, me thinks. The one Arnold has probably is a failure, but iirc a small stone chip is fine.
I may be wrong, but I'm just going on the knowledge my dad has given me as an MOT tester is all.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
it's a chip of a particular size though, me thinks. The one Arnold has probably is a failure, but iirc a small stone chip is fine.
I may be wrong, but I'm just going on the knowledge my dad has given me as an MOT tester is all.

lol. true, but my dad is the head of the north devision of VOSA.....:laugh:

micra_tom

MICRA FTW!
The seat belt unclips itself!
LOL, and your still driving it around?
I drive a Vauxhall as well (a Nova, now that is a chav mobil lol) and i keep having random problems like hazard light switch getting stuck "on". I put it down to shoddy build quality..

curtis

Ex. Club Member
LOL, and your still driving it around?
I drive a Vauxhall as well (a Nova, now that is a chav mobil lol) and i keep having random problems like hazard light switch getting stuck "on". I put it down to shoddy build quality..

I quite like novas and the build quality isnt that bad, just change the hazard switch as its a really common problem on them ;)

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Nova's rust quite badly don't they? Don't see many of them around these days.

And yeah I'm still driving the Corsa!! Gotta get my monies worth out of it lol