sanding and scratch removal

Me again,

The roof of my black Colette has taken on some really ugly discoloration all over it. It has gone a kind of patchy, rusty grey or white, similar to plastic crazing. I'm thinking of sanding this down and repainting but have never done the job before. What is the best procedure for this and can anyone recommend decent primer and paint makers? Would wet+dry paper be sufficient for the paint removal?

Also, I have some long scratches/scuffs down the side that can hardly be detected when running a fingernail across them. Any trade secrets for their removal? Which of the many scratch removal/colour restorer products work best?

As you can tell I have just bought this car and am madly sorting out its niggles while the weather is good!

Thanks

H

Hi

Halford primer and paint is good enough, but you could go and get some other branded stuff if you like

Mask off the area to be painted, with masking tape...lol
Sand down the area to be painted, wet and dry would be fine, just to scratch the surface of the paint would be sufficient.

then light spraying of primer, building up coats of about 2-4, leave about 15-20mins in between, and also sand down each coat lightly.
then allow the primer to dry for about 30mins, then add the first coat of paint, again light coats, and build up about 3-5 coats, leaving 15mins in between!

Have ago with some t-cut to get those other scratches out!!

hope this helps!:k10:

The roof needs sanding with VERY fine wet and dry, just to lift the marks on it, it's where the car has been in the sun. Then lacquer it and it'll be good as new, worked on mine.
The scratches can be removed with T-cut scratch remover.

Yeah I just lightly sanded to get a fairly even surface and then wiped the dust off with a damp cloth and lacquered it. It worked on the blue paint so I don't see why it wouldn't with black.

most bodyshops can repaint a roof for around the £100 mark which is a good price, its going to take several coats of paint and primer if you want a good finish so your looking at around £50 worth of spray can paint to DIY not to mention sanding between coats and preparation which will entail many hours if you do it properly and it will never be as good as a proper paint job.

IMO i'd take it to a bodyshop get it done cash in hand nice and cheap and get it looking proper :)

however if you do do it yourself;

as a gauge id recommend 3 coats of primer sanding between coats (after its dried, takes about 12-24 hours depending on the paint) and then a minimum of 2 coats of paint to avoid it looking patchy. halfords paint have lacquer built in so you dont need to lacquer separately.

leave it a good week so the paint can harden correctly then rub it down with 2000 grade wet and dry and with a bucket of water to keep the sand paper wet rub out any imperfections. then buff it to a shine with a rotary polisher, ideally id say mop it to bring it to a real shine as this is what i did with my k10 and it came up amazingly well. (assuming your bodyshop will let you use their mop :p)

Back