Safe Bhp?

Evening

I'm currently planning a kit car build (fwd) and its got to point where I have to start planing an engine. I've already built a corsa pistoned engine for the mini which I'm very happy with.

My current plans are to build a low comp cg13 engine (again corsa pistons), but before I commit to any thing I was wondering whats a safe bhp to aim for? Id like to hit 160, if not I'll fit a vtec or similar.

Seeing you on the forum was a bit of a give away :) I think you'll need a super stripped out racer to approach 500 kgs though. There are at least two Micra engined Mini Marcos under way at the moment.

OP
OP
l_jonez
Well the plan is it will be a very light trackday car so anything thats not needed will be binned, fitting a cg engine give a good weight saving aswell :D

I do have a b16a2 (vtec) engine sat in the garage but I think that would be to much of a squeeze and would need a big bonnet bulge. I did also consider a rear mounted engine.

Got to make a decision soon

OP
OP
l_jonez
Not yet, but I have to start the planning and collecting of parts soon before the garage space gets taken up by something else. If I had the extra cash I'd buy a brand new GT shell.

I like the MK3's myself. but any mk of them can require a lot of work related to the metal inserts going rusty and needing to be replaced. They also sell for high prices these days just like most Mini related stuff these days.

BobPolak-Marcos-Mini-AA.jpg

OP
OP
l_jonez
Yeah the prices are a bit silly the one that was on eBay last week the guy wanted 4k for it. Any thing I buy will be a compete strip and rebuild, a new shell is 4k so I'd may aswell buy one of them instead.

frank

Club Member
here,s TDC with the CGA crank and corsa piston (a 2.5mm shim sits a tad below the blockface) and a CGA piston in cyl 2 (5mm deep at the centre of the bowl)
this was the engine i ran at mallory park this year btw

PA130060.JPG

and here,s the poormans plastigauge (cooking foil deployment :) )

PA110055.JPG

OP
OP
l_jonez
Have you worked out a compression Ratio for the above ?

My current basic outline is....

Closed deck cg13 block
CGA crank & rods
Corsa pistons
Custom inlet & exhaust manifolds
Turbo ( not sure what size yet)
Stand alone ecu

frank

Club Member
Have you worked out a compression Ratio for the above ?

u
nah, gonna be 9 ish i guess, if you spread the CGA dish out it would be about 2mm deep eh, so this gives about the same as an extra headgasket, and with the 1367cc, twill be about 9:1 ?
are you gonna be brave and pioneer the later/bigger twinport corsa pistons ? :D

PA130061.JPG

frank

Club Member
my 1275 crank low comp corsa one turned out too low really (4mm short of the top of the block iirc), i,ve been re-building it this week with a CGA crank, and will test it soon :)
here it is plonked in the red car :) with the idle adjusted half way through the test

Sorry for thread hijacking.

I was thinking about turbo micra. I was work out myself that I can probably reach up to 180bhp with 1.3 engine. I don't need to upgrade uprated driveshafts right? I am about about spinning from first gear so how can I solve this spinning problem?

Jk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks guys . There is no worry then. It sounds like drag races. :)
I am still planning and work out with turbo micra. Hope it will be work or not .

Thanks
Jk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
OP
l_jonez
When I actually get one progress should be quick :) these engines look like the belong there. Im sure it will be a lot tighter once all the turbo grubbings are fitted

OP
OP
l_jonez
Time to bring this thread back from the dead....

I now have a kit car :) saddly not a Marcos but a Midas, originally built by my father in 82 he sold it in 85 the new owner used it till 88 then stored it away until last month when he offered to sell it to me :-D

Anyway back on subject, I've been looking at turbo choice. At the moment I'm thinking of going down the GT17 route, has anyone used one on a 1.3?
( already got the engine waiting)

pork

Club Member
Cool!

There's a tatty one of these parked down my road.

Think frank did, vaguely remember him saying it was instant boost, but then ran out of puff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
l_jonez
@pork Buy it if you can :p

I've been reading that the mini guys use the GT17 wiyh good results. The A series is the same bore and stroke as the cg13 so I'm hoping it would give similar results.