rust!!

are micras quite bad with rusting alot?? as i have a 1998 micra and its just failed its m.o.t and needs about 2 days work of welding :/ so i was wondering whether it will keep happening or whether its best to just to get a new car??

frank

Club Member
are micras quite bad with rusting alot?? as i have a 1998 micra and its just failed its m.o.t and needs about 2 days work of welding :/ so i was wondering whether it will keep happening or whether its best to just to get a new car??
if they,re neglected/allowed to rust away yes (like any other car) we,ve run a pair of k11,s since 99, and hav,nt had to weld anything yet :)

OP
OP
Gash93
what do ya mean neglected then?? i do love my car n try keep it as clean as poss but obviously previous owners havent thought the same lol

Stani1029

Club Member
Cleaning what you can see doesnt count though, the front crossmember the floors and the inner/outer sills are the worst point for rust. My cars had a new crossmember, a small patch under drivers seat on the inner sill and the back wheel arch re-done. Mileage is 55000 ish which is low for 1998

OP
OP
Gash93
Yeah mine has about 74,000 but looks ok but I just got the mot certificate and it say I have excessive corrosion on both rear suspension component mountings :s don't know how to prevent that lol

frank

Club Member
Yeah mine has about 74,000 but looks ok but I just got the mot certificate and it say I have excessive corrosion on both rear suspension component mountings :s don't know how to prevent that lol
precisely :) my old super s had 131,000 miles when i scrapped it and it was never claybar,d or polished in its life, but the floor/sills etc had absolutely zero rust (because i had sprayed oil/shutz mix everywhere, soon after buying it)

frank

Club Member
its just down to owners who CBA to get under the car, and behind the 1/4 panel casings, and protect it i,m afraid :( then they cry foul when it fails the mot for welding

OP
OP
Gash93
Bloody only had the thing 8 months n already paid for a new clutch, new cv joint and now this!! Duno how much I will be willing to pay now lol