Running great but getting a bit smokey?

Afternoon folks.

Just noticed the Micra is a little smokey and also the tail pipe has a black ring around the outer edge.

The smoke is white and looks clean. Car running as well as it always does. Plugs and HT leads were changed maybe a year back?

Now it's pretty damp and cold today and it only ran maybe 3-4 miles so guess that wouldn't help.

Anyone any ideas what might to look for?

Cheers

Sure it's not condensation? Specially if sitting and been ran for short amount of time it can take a while to clear
Take the plugs out and see if they are oily?,
Oil levels half+,
Serviced recently

Black ring around the tail pipe can be normal specially if doing lots of cold starts and not get up to temp ect

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

White smoke is usually coolant, although can be steam

Take it out for a good drive on a motorway so the whole exhaust is warm and then pull over at a services and see if there's still smoke. If so, you're probably burning coolant - which best case scenario is O rings and worse case scenario is a crack in the block

Sure it's not condensation? Specially if sitting and been ran for short amount of time it can take a while to clear
Take the plugs out and see if they are oily?,
Oil levels half+,
Serviced recently

Black ring around the tail pipe can be normal specially if doing lots of cold starts and not get up to temp ect

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Think you right Nissanboy ... although we took it a long spin NY day it is only used for work and shopping drop offs and rarely getting to good temp.

Oil, water and plugs all check out fine this morn but thanks for the steer.

Think it is as you say, a short journey and rather cold and wet conditions yesterday. Seems much better today pulling a trailer to the recycling center.

White smoke is usually coolant, although can be steam

Take it out for a good drive on a motorway so the whole exhaust is warm and then pull over at a services and see if there's still smoke. If so, you're probably burning coolant - which best case scenario is O rings and worse case scenario is a crack in the block

Thanks for the steer Matt ... think I also jumped to grim scenarios but now the water and oil is clean as like and not dropped an inch ... fortunately.

I think it is as you say sue to short journey usage and overall operating temp being poor.

Panicking a little too quickly here I think :)

Back