Run car or remove battery?

Last time I went away for 2 weeks, after we got back the red battery light was on. Turned out the alternator had gone bust, so replaced it and has been fine ever since. I assume this happened because in those 2 weeks the battery ran down and damaged the alternator, and I hear that a bad or low battery can damage an alternator and visa versa.

We are going away for 2 more weeks soon so my question is, should I remove the battery (and leave on trickle charge?) or ask someone to run the car every few days?

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Me either but you could always remove the negative lead from the battery to make sure. Make sure you know your radio code first though...

OP
OP
emuzeg
Me either but you could always remove the negative lead from the battery to make sure. Make sure you know your radio code first though...
Hmm cheers. Might do that. My radio is not the original one, so that it matter about the code? Removed battery before and radio worked after reinstalling.

Do you reckon then that it wasn't sitting idle for 2 weeks that caused the alternator to give out before?

frank

Club Member
Hmm cheers. Might do that. My radio is not the original one, so that it matter about the code? Removed battery before and radio worked after reinstalling.

Do you reckon then that it wasn't sitting idle for 2 weeks that caused the alternator to give out before?
I think you answered your own question there, and the alternator was probably back flowing somehow (very rare)

in the regulator there are some diodes that only allow power to flow in one direction but if and when they fail power then travels in both directions you will know this as the ignition light will stay illuminated on the dash with the key in or out of the ignition,it is easier to see the light at night when it is dark.

OP
OP
emuzeg
in the regulator there are some diodes that only allow power to flow in one direction but if and when they fail power then travels in both directions you will know this as the ignition light will stay illuminated on the dash with the key in or out of the ignition,it is easier to see the light at night when it is dark.
Interesting! Thanks. So to be the safest, if I remove my battery completely from the car and leave on trickle charge for 2 weeks all should be good?

OP
OP
emuzeg
I got the solar charger, but my cigarette lighter only works with the ignition on! And I don't really want to leave the charger out in the open for 2 weeks... I can just remove the battery and leave it indoors with the solar charger right?