Roadmap to some performance on a Super S

yeah supposedly 800Kgs wet weight no driver passenger luggage etc. presume pre-facelifts are lighter and 'flying wing' models are heavier. i got no a/c to weigh me down either! i can pick up the entire back end of the car from one wheel arch..... or i could until i rolled the arches!

have since had it weighed at 796Kgs. this would agree with Muniek that the weight is much higher. mine works out at 898................................ BOOOO!

frank

Club Member
finding the right weight hydraulic oil would be a mission tho tom, you,re best to change the valving really imo (so that the fast rate valve is the same, and the slow rate one is stiffer)

I thought that was the case Tom. I was using a buzz gun to undo the top nut on a rear damper once and it shot apart with a small explosion sound, like it was pressurised. I suppose that means they are gas shocks (nitrogen inside?). I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time but the shaft was out of the body. Perhaps you should fit a schraeder type valve and have them re pumped afterwards. Good luck with your efforts, let us know how you get on, go carefully.

Motorcycle forks have changeable oil and it's relatively cheap and available in a wide range of viscosities.

Frank, I have to admit I'm a bit surprised you havn't done a grinder exploratory before now, lol.

the plan is to use a presta valve because they hold higher pressure, and yes you're right they're gas pressurised, although at this age (1999MY) theres not much of it left!!!

trial and error Frank! once theres a bolt in there, its not a difficult thing to remove and replace oil. i guess i could get quite good at it as i may be doing a lot of it!!!

OP
OP
M
Back from the dead update: The SS micra, as expected is still a wonderful car @ 155k Km's. Since it was some time ago since I posted here I allowed myslef to do a little update of the car's status.

1. Car runs on bell shaped medium lenght intake
2. Installed daihatsu copen seats which provide very good support, and are placed much lower than stock, the feel of the car is much much better
3. Car has 4 new gas filled shocks (tokico) and -50mm springs - ride is firm and responsive, body roll very very slight at high speeds in turns
5. Frank manifold
6. Full servivcing every 7k km's due to short jurneys with high engine load
7. Just now in desperate need of a full exhaust system from 1st cat in mani - I took out the old corroded cat and after a while it blew the rear original (17 years!) backbox. leaning towards 1/34 peter lloyd kit.
8. Fuel consumption is high imho - got 420 kms on highway driving (between 120-160km/h), in city I make 360 km's on full tank(!) - lambda sensor + temp sensor to be checked??
9. The steering is loud on bumps, and much less precise in high speeds, I guess the mechanism needs an overhaul (SS steering is slightly less turns than standrad power steering) - high cost but would be nice to keep it original.
10. Sunny front brakes are nice, but the pads are crap - way too hard - need to repalce with something softer
11. Got german made "King Wheels" 13x7, spoked alloys, and some 185's slightly stretched rubbers on them look the business and still handle the bumps and sidewalks.

Cheers

OP
OP
M
Ok, I just ordered a Peted Loyd exhaust (downpipe, mid section, rear box). I hope to see improvement over the rusted oem. I will change the o2 sensor at the same time to see if the MPG goes up, right now its a scary 10-11 ltr!! Wondering if temp sensor should be replaced (not too expensive anyways) - what you guys think?

Back from the dead update: The SS micra, as expected is still a wonderful car @ 155k Km's. Since it was some time ago since I posted here I allowed myslef to do a little update of the car's status.

1. Car runs on bell shaped medium lenght intake
2. Installed daihatsu copen seats which provide very good support, and are placed much lower than stock, the feel of the car is much much better
3. Car has 4 new gas filled shocks (tokico) and -50mm springs - ride is firm and responsive, body roll very very slight at high speeds in turns
5. Frank manifold
6. Full servivcing every 7k km's due to short jurneys with high engine load
7. Just now in desperate need of a full exhaust system from 1st cat in mani - I took out the old corroded cat and after a while it blew the rear original (17 years!) backbox. leaning towards 1/34 peter lloyd kit.
8. Fuel consumption is high imho - got 420 kms on highway driving (between 120-160km/h), in city I make 360 km's on full tank(!) - lambda sensor + temp sensor to be checked??
9. The steering is loud on bumps, and much less precise in high speeds, I guess the mechanism needs an overhaul (SS steering is slightly less turns than standrad power steering) - high cost but would be nice to keep it original.
10. Sunny front brakes are nice, but the pads are crap - way too hard - need to repalce with something softer
11. Got german made "King Wheels" 13x7, spoked alloys, and some 185's slightly stretched rubbers on them look the business and still handle the bumps and sidewalks.

Cheers

Pictures please! :)

OP
OP
M
peter Loyd exh has arrived, and it is a nicely made piece. I treated it with additional high heat resistant paint to combat salt and moisture in our sometimes harsh environment.

New Lambda has also arrived and will be fitted with the exhaust next week. Hope it helps with range.

I have some small electrical problem due to moisture in the broken rear light - it blew the fog fuse, and I lost a tailight and license plate lightning - I also bought a rear light cluster for 10 euro to replace the broken one.

Spring will be devoted to body work, as my girl dented slightly the hood just in the middle :) and the rear boot badly on the left. Both items to be replaced :(

OP
OP
M
Exhaust and lambda fitted - what a difference! Nice deep tone, revs nicely, more torque down low and definitely more hp - car is swift and uses way less fuel.

OP
OP
M
2013 update :) Took the car to the dyno. It has 159K km's (100 k miles) and with franks mani and Peter Lloyd full (installed the oem airbox) exhaust it spat out 84 hp and 103 NM...not bad for 18 year old car...it still drinks gas thou... 350 kms on a full tank...

OP
OP
M
wondering what should I do next... mill head, better intake mani...hmm looking for relatively inexpensive mods that yiled measurable results... of course, a turbo would be nice, but I dont think I am willing to spend too much cash at the moment. I had a nitrous kit in my old old micra, that was nice, but too much hassle...

OP
OP
M
it seems that my throttle plate did not upen up fully at the time of dyno testing so this could mean I could squeeze a bit more than 84hp...

OP
OP
M
Fitted an OMP front strut brace, bodywork still waiting (sill on the passenger side, rear quarter.. :-(

Will soon install the headers I advertised and we will go for a dyno run and some tweaking on the ignition)

Pics soon

OP
OP
M
Ahh crap, the forum admin just deleted my advert for the headers we manufacture and are able to offer for the micra. Oh, I guess nobody would want a inexpensive new set... maybe I can figure a way to advertise them officially once I am able to purchase the seller's rights.

I will be fitting these:

Attachments

• cg headers.jpg
    cg headers.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 325
OP
OP
M
Some updates about the car, that recently made her happy again:

1. Full replacement of rotten sill area, painting scratches, driver door, rear quarter panels, removed side strips, polishing of the body, windows
2. OMP front strut

Generally, the much awaited bodywork has been completed, after winter I will paint the bumpers to match clear coated body (they were non clear coated from factory). I will also sandblast the rims and give them some new paint - color opinions?

Here are some pics of car, Copen seats, strut brace and a comparison to an OEM height Nissan Juke

Attachments

• IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1634.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1638.JPG
    IMG_1638.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 293
OP
OP
M
Frank's mani is visible as well, need to paint it black sometime. Frank, btw, do you make turbo manifolds of any sort? I was thinking to get one, just in case :)

frank

Club Member
Frank's mani is visible as well, need to paint it black sometime. Frank, btw, do you make turbo manifolds of any sort? I was thinking to get one, just in case :)
i,ve done a few mate, but there is a lot of positioning you have to do, so that you get the right clearance around the alternator and rad :)

frank

Club Member
thats a wild cam :) and yes very ghetto, no I/C unleaded petrol on a fusion basemap nistune (10psi winter, 7psi summer)

OP
OP
M
I am tempted to go Supercharger from a K13 - anybody considered this? I've started a new thread if you guys wanna chime in! Cheap, almost new SC available over here!!