Restoring lost horsepower? (Age, wear etc.)

Heyllo MSC,

Basically, i will be hopefully be buying a 1.3 soon, shes about 15 years old and with 65k on the clock, so then i turned around and told my folks, and they were like, why on earth would you do that?

I asked myself, why on earth would I do that? I know micra seem quite invincible, some suffer from rust deterioration but what about the engine states after (well 8 to 17 years now is it?) micras running very well all these years, but you see from threads like the beloved EBB that the engines do lose some horsepower (next to the specified nissan documents anyway).

This is kind of a discussion really on Why (including the psyical engine changes) things like horsepower wear to how to restore horsepower?

Basically all i can think of is that the best way to restore lost horse power is to allow the car to operate in a more 'Free flow' state, so you see alot of people on here changing out the manifolds, induction kits, heck even the rev limit removal seems to be kicking off alot at this point (Y).

But is it really just a case of boosting our cars? Or are there things we can do to restore the specific, original horsepower?

I know someone came on at some point and went, advance the timings! rotate the barrel so many degrees, i've read up you can fry things in your engine :p if this isn't done right, but he claims the timings slipped?

Dirty cats too! EBB thread showed a trashed cat i think and that thing looked horrid haha.

Discuss!

i would say the main hp losses on the CG,s are as a result of ringwear (compression leakage) and chain slack (valve and ignition retardation)

Hmm, that makes alot of sense, are the official compression figures out for the CG? (or optimum figures for cg10 and 13 engines?)

I think good service definately helps alot haha.

Not bad :D, so i take it pressure leak will result in less, is it really just ring wear that results in the loss of compression?

After all the CG's still can push out some hefty power for this age,

yes as the rings and bore wear away, the gaps open up and the compression leaks away through the gaps.
and as the bores glaze up, you lose the film of oil that helps them seal effectively

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0443.JPG
    DSCF0443.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 648
Back