Respray looking dull

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
I stripped it, primed it, sprayed it, gave it 3 coats of laquer.. shoved it in the oven.. polished it.. and its still looking flat. The rest of the car looks gleaming and shiny but the bonnet looks a bit dull... from a distance you cant tell but up close you can slightly..

What can I do?
Or have I missed something out?

thanks

colour is tornado grey (bwk3) - metalic green

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
you need to polish it but not with polish first. Get nice warm bucket of soapy water and some 1000 grit or even better 1500 grit wet and dry cork sand block and keeping wet and dry well soaked give it a good going over keeping the block moving dont rub hard and dont stay in the same place use a circular motion when thats done give a good buff with polish and machine polish it if you can...

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
^I forgot to add... I did that too...

I was talking to my neighbour and he reckons that it will blend in soon as despite the oven the laquer takes longer to dry from the inside.. I need to get that glossy glass finish on the bonnet - like the rest of the car..

Confuzzled!

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
take it to a pro, unless you are cofident in your abilities, i wouldn't even think of attempting a major panel like a bonnet.

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
how well was your prep work?????????? unless it was cold when you put spray to panel or your mix was wrong you should after wet and dry be seeing some sort of improvment use a good polish to buff it up like mer or auto glym

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
I did the best I could.. a sanding block and 320 grit wet sandpaper.. sanded in linear motions and kept away from the edges.. baked alkyd enamel.. red scotch brite pads.. Krylon sandable primer.. used two pack primer.. I didnt get any orange peel but I still used 1000 grit wet sandpaper... then after that I used.. 1500.. sprayed on the clear coat.. compound and buffed.. polished it.. Meguire's #9 on a foam finishing pad but I keep hearing different stories.. I waxed it with liquidified hard paste wax after and someone said I shouldnt have done that as the paint needs time to cure.. so may be the wax was a bad idea.. other than that I am stumped.. it took me about a week... I even gave the laquer 24 hours..

I'm a keen DIY.. so even a bonnet was a huge feet for me... I've done my front wing before and that turned out perfect.. that wasnt pearl though..

Anyhow Im going to give the Autoglym a shot and if I aint happy no doubt its going to a pro.!

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
If you used spray cans, you will never get the same shine as the rest of the car.

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
Ed I had access to proper equipment... its upsetting me the more I look at it. Today some guy went into the back of my car :.(
So I need to respray the rear bumper and boot again... and have the dents taken out.. ouch my neck.. my pride is in tatters

Nissan quoted £255 for the bonnet. Obviously at the factory the car has no interior at first so they can dip it in paint and have much higher temperatures.. so the finish will never be quite as good.. let's see what they can do for me eh.

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
yeh the back will be insurance but the front is extra work so I will fork out for that.. the bloke was so dippy he misjudged and braked late.. how the BLEEP can you go wrong at 30 mph? Traffic was hardly moving.. he must have raced.. some BLEEPS do that they like to race to a red light or stop fast.. whats the point?!

Broony

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
have a word with the garage they might be able to put the bill for the front onto the insurance if you know what i mean by sayin the back was extra work;)

nissanmicrak12

Ex. Club Member
talking of re sprays anyone know anyone to re spray my black micra ford st colour?(electric orange) cheers how much do you think it would cost?cheers in the north east by the way :eek:) will travel further for a good job

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
yaay its all on insurance now... sorted! garage agreed broony.

nissanmicrak12... have a search on the net.. there are professional peeps that can do this... my mistake in the past has been going to a local garage.. to save.. and the general rule is.. depends how much you are willing to spend.. as it will be reflected in the price.. you get what you pay for so to speak.. so dont be too tempted by the cheap deals out there.. sorry i cant add much more to that.. but there are loads of places.. its just been ages since ive done this so ive forgotten half the names!

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
talking of re sprays anyone know anyone to re spray my black micra ford st colour?(electric orange) cheers how much do you think it would cost?cheers in the north east by the way :eek:) will travel further for a good job

WHY??? that was a silly colour for a lovely car. Might as well paint it fluorescent pink with purple dots all over it and have a big neon sign saying 'no taste'.

Suppose it's up to you though.

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
i dont see the joke mate... i know one of the body shop engineers... and although i cant get a discount at least i know a really good job will be done.. better than my skill anyway..

lewic

Ex. Club Member
I stripped it, primed it, sprayed it, gave it 3 coats of laquer.. shoved it in the oven.. polished it.. and its still looking flat. The rest of the car looks gleaming and shiny but the bonnet looks a bit dull... from a distance you cant tell but up close you can slightly..

What can I do?
Sell it to someone who aint as fussy, and buy a newer shiny one

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
nah the back and front are mangled so its all being repaired on insurance.. i still dont feel like drivin thou... feel angry and sick all in one.. :down: