Research - 21's and over

j.a.kelly

Ex. Club Member
Hey guys. Some car-related research :)

If you guys were to HIRE/RENT a car for a period of time, whether it be for leisure or to replace your car whilst it was in for work, would you

(a) prefer to pay a budget price and get a budget motor (ie. Hyundai Getz)

(b) pay a lower price than the big firms and get a new hatch (ie. Micra K12)

(c) pay the same as a big rental firm charge for a basic hatch and get something along the lines of a Polo GTi & MGTF - slightly older than brand newies - but more 'exotic' lol

In this hypothetical world the vehicle rental age would be 21 (even for GTi's) with no additional charge (many rental companies apply an additional charge to 21-24yr old drivers)

Typical rental rates would be Day1 £25, Day2 £20, £15 per day after that,
cheaper deals for 1 week, 2 week, 3 week

Please help with my research - thank you guys & gals!

JK

I would want something a bit more exotic, but only really so that I could give it a good thrash so maybe not what you want to hear lol

well thats what i'd do to be honest, and have done. The saying goes that rental cars are the fastest cars in the world ;) haha

JK

edit: would the fact the car is maybe 3years old not deter you from renting it?

i would get the cheapest one as it will be better on fuel... but im a poor student... damn it.. hire a dodge viper for a week!

I would go out and buy my self a nice mk2 Polo or K10 micra with a bit of mot for a couple of hundred £££, this would probably work out cheaper in the long run :D

Depends what I was doing. If I was moving house or replacing a day to day runner it would be the cheapest. I'd go for the more exotic/faster ones for something like Le Mans 24hr weekend road trip (spectating not competing... ;) ) or for some cheap fun on a sunday (cheaper than go karting...!) Age of the car wouldn't be an issue.

if im hiring a car for a purpose it genreally cos my car is to small to do what i want it to do.. or im going for a long journy and i want a comfey car in which case i you would want a nice saloon or somthing along those lines i wouldnt pay to rent a small car theres no point and with regards to how i drive it i havent taken a rental car back thats not had a problem after iv destroyed it.. infact i took rich out in a brand new mazda 6 last weekend and it now doesnt have 3rd gear but it was damn fast! and sounded sweet with no airbox on! this is why 21-25 year olds have extra preimeums!

If I'm paying and it's short term andything equal to what I have would do, so it's either the cheapest or middle

But considering I could get a top model at the same cost as someone over 25 it might make me choose that. But again the chance to drive cars I wouldn't ever buy or get ago in like a K12 or GETZ would be nice too.

id get a GTi type thing. How often would you get to drive one? PLus you may be wanting to get something like that in the future and gives you a feel of what its like :)

There will be other cars too, I was interested in peoples responses. young drivers will not be charged an additional premium for any models.

lol @ raceworx - banned from rentals ;)

Goldstar011 - I was trying not to advertise mate :) purely research.

JK

hey im being honest as much as it would be very good not to charge under 25's but you would find that you would have to when you start getting mechanical repair bills after they have had it for a few days!

if i were you id loan vans out!! you can get vans on lease from vauxhall for next to nothing then you stick a charge on top to cover insurance ect then send them out then vauxhall/whoever maintain them.. everyone needs vans lol

vans are also on the cards - in this hypothetical situation ;)

actually - damage deposits cover damage by neglect. Thats why i was considering new vehicles too (warranty) but i like the idea of the gti market too

JK

j.a.kelly said:
(a) prefer to pay a budget price and get a budget motor (ie. Hyundai Getz)

(b) pay a lower price than the big firms and get a new hatch (ie. Micra K12)

(c) pay the same as a big rental firm charge for a basic hatch and get something along the lines of a Polo GTi & MGTF - slightly older than brand newies - but more 'exotic' lol

In this hypothetical world the vehicle rental age would be 21 (even for GTi's) with no additional charge (many rental companies apply an additional charge to 21-24yr old drivers)

From your further comments you seem to actually be wanting to set up a car hire firm. Just a quick question - how exactly do you propose undercutting the large companies by such a large amount, especially to the under-25 segment?

Rental companies make huge turnover because they charge a high price for their vehicles - especially by the time they offer their additional insurance packages, and excess reduction schemes. There are ways of providing a lower cost alternative, and frankly most companies are scared of renting to lower age group because of a selected few.

It is something I have had a great deal of interest in for a long while now. There are ways and means of providing a good service, at a lower cost.

JK

Back