Report - K12 clunk noise to BBC Watchdog for compensation

I am taking my 6 weeks old 160SR 6 to my dealer for diagnostic tomorrow, as you all referred this noise as a characteristic of the new K12, am angry why we were not told about it before we bought the car, hence we need Nissan to either admit the fault and recall all K12 to fix it or if they cannnot fix we need compensation.

I am eagerly awaiting to see what my Dealer has to say. Would you guys who have the same problem join in this thread so that we can take this issue further to Nissan with the help of BBC Watchdog or Which magazine. As soon as they hear the threat of their reputation, hopefully they will admit to the fault.

Hi Skyliner its the spring/suspension/eps engaging noise see my posting on 'the curse of 160 SR' couple of weeks ago.

I will see what they have to say, if they deny any noise I will video tape the noise and copy this thread from this club and complain big time to Nissan.

tell me in as much detail as you can about the fault you have, i work in a nissan garage, if you give me some info i could probably check the demo 160sr for the noise etc and see what i come up with,

you dont mean a clunk noise from the subframe on pull away?

most of the time when you tape a noise you get to much background noise to hear the noise you are complaining about

I know what you mean. Last Sunday, I used my phone to video a friend firing his .308 rifle at Altcar and all you could hear was the wind! A .308 will make you jump out of your skin from 30ft and you coudn't hear it on the phone at all :wow: .

cant see the problem with it tbh....

please explain to me why this is a fault

SOME k12 have rattly windows,noisy seatbelts,and have a cluck on the rear subframe..these are problems that nissan know about and will solve them for you

do you want them to re design the whole system for you?

IF ITS NOT BROKE THEN DONT FIX IT

The sport plus coutesy car I had for a couple of days recently had really squeally electric windows but I didn't notice anything else. My 160SR is due in very soon, I'll keep my ears open.

GuyWood said:
The sport plus coutesy car I had for a couple of days recently had really squeally electric windows but I didn't notice anything else. My 160SR is due in very soon, I'll keep my ears open.

thats the rubber seal what makes the squeek..somtimes it does it somtimes it doesnt

it wont do it with perspex ones :D

It's the exhaust mounting which sits on the top of the cross member.

When pulling away, the movement created causes the engine to move... and as we all know exhaust's have to be flexible to allow for movement. The problem with these particular one's is that they aren't sitting correctly in the rubber mount.

Nissan have released a temporary measure of greasing the inside of this mounting... untill a proper recall can be carried out.

-Elliot

Fordy said:
its the front subframe rik the rear axle is a beam

no i mean the rear clunking sound that nissan got new bolts to stop the problem..its on the rear

i know what this guy means though

Hi Fordy, the noise comes from the front of the car, everytime youstart the car from cold it happens on 1st or 2nd gear while the car moves at 5-10 mph. Its a sounds like a loud 'spring noise' which resonates on the carbody. Some one here said its the EPS engaging, but Ive tried to swich the EPS off and still make the noise. Once the car is on the move no noise is heard, unless you switch the engine off and wait for 15 minutes.No I would not want Nissan to redesign the K12 I am only pointing out the annoying noise from abrand new car. Had I known of this characteristic of the K12 I would not have bought it, hence it seems like we have been shortchanged. If we do not take it further they(Nissan) will just not do anything about it. Please join in if you have the same problem , the more complaint about this feature we get the better chance to get either 'Which' mag or 'what car mag' or even bbc watchdog to look into it.

lmfao at this thread..i have this noise and i cant belive you are going through all this trouble.

you shouldn't laugh really rik, the guys not happy with what he bought he has everyright to persue it.

i'm interested to hear what they say as we've been given about 5 explainations as to what said noise is.

but like you mate, i just live with it. its part of the cars character now lol

i think people that complain about small things are funny..i get them at work all the time.

i would like to know what makes the noise but thats it.

my car does 27mpg some days..maybe i wil go to bbc and complain its not doing 43mpg.

lol yeah i see your point, so your gonna go back and demand a lighter foot in compensation?

27mpg wow haven't had it that low yet, had it in the high 50's on m-way journey though.

i knew the car would have probs when i bought it, but the power/spec you get for under 10 grand made it worth rattly windows etc imo and tbh i only bought for the engine the rest was a bonus.

160sr2006 if you still continue to persue it past nissan i'll put my name down to say i have the prob, if it helps at all. i'm presuming the other owners would to??

:)

RIK said:
lmfao at this thread..i have this noise and i cant belive you are going through all this trouble.

End of the day the guys paid a fair bit of cash for the car and its not up to his standards - he has the right to complain! Its not a second hand car hes buying is it? Its brand new and should be in perfect condition.

Working for a dealership i know this is not always the case - take yesterday for example, a salesman had a brand new megane coupe cabriolet going out at 2pm - i got the car at 11 for a pre delivery inspection, the car was fine, but it blew the consumer fuse after ten minutes of running. The customer got told they werent getting their car that day and the full dash got removed and the problem was found - a wire had gotten trapped while the dash was being mounted and it was causing it to short out. If that car had gone out then within five minutes it would have been brough right back to the dealership and i agree fully with customers bringing them back - we get a hell of a lot stupid little knocks and noises but when your forking out all that cash you can see why!

To be fair agree with Daz, if you buy a a TFT monitor for your PC and it has a few dead pixels in the middle, do you live with it cause its "part of its character"?

I would have it back very fast and im pretty sure most other people would. Im also sure if i was paying hard earned cash for a nice K12, i would want it to be perfect and not be irritated by some stupid clunk or squeaking seats, if i wanted a car that was crap i'd buy a Renault.

Thanks Dr Z for the support,
and yes You would like to know what my dealer had to say, funny enough they said they found NO FAULT or noise, they checked the car and lubed few bits underneath and tightened a few bolts. When I got there I tried to demonstrate the noise with the mechanic in the car and this time guess what the car did NOT make the noise, may be the engine was warm.I offered to show them the tape but they said they did not have a video recorder to wacht it. But since I brought it back the sound seems subdued and unnoticeable. I will have to wait and see in the next few weeks before I will take any further step. I hope it remains subdued like yesterday. I will keep you guys updated. By the way Rik, I appreciate your point not to make big fuss about small things and try not to fix what aint broke,may be I am a perfectionist and want everything right since I have paid my hard earned money for that car.

doesn't surprise me lol

thats what i was told.

daz and allan i see your point but i've been back and they said theres no noise. mines going back again on mon as the windows now rattle :(

but thats my point.. ALL K12 160SR do this thats why its not a fault and he hasnt been short changed or got a few dead pixels on his monitor

i thought i'd interject at this point to say i've been blasting the SR on the german autobahns, cruising at 100mph happily and tops off at a of displayed 125mph (couldve gone further, buy felt light and strained) - and other stats: recently on my 1150 mile cakovec (croatia) to london point to point i recorded an average of 67 mph and 40.6 mpg. this is a great little car

so this rattly window problem can be readily handled by the garages/ dealerships now? thanks. H

yes it is a great little car..and the most i have got top speed is 120 and it stops dead..realy it would be like 105-110

tops out at 120 - yeah - must've been a downhill stretch for that rogue 125 i clocked! hmmmm but i was running on 98 benzine :) there's some cheap refinery/gas stations in south east germany..

when the cars get built in factory because they are under deadlines etc
say for instance someone drops a bolt when putting a dash in or something they dont find it they just get another bolt, nissan have a test track with bumps and stuff for noises and rattles testing when cars come off the line

surely they wouldn't test EVERY car just take a selection off each shift?

I assumed they had a bit of mileage for being driven on and off pickups and in and out of valet bays etc lol

My dealer gave up on the 'twang' noise. There ia nothing they can do about it since its a design fault, hence all 160SR will have the problem. Those who claim they dont have its because they have not heard them due to heavy accelerration or radio on. It happens when engine is cold and you have to drive slowly on 1st and second around 5-10 mph to hear it.

Quote :
surely they wouldn't test EVERY car just take a selection off each shift?

------------------

Every K12 vehicle is tested around a small circuit in Nissan (not a selection).

Jason

160SR2006 said:
My dealer gave up on the 'twang' noise. There ia nothing they can do about it since its a design fault, hence all 160SR will have the problem. Those who claim they dont have its because they have not heard them due to heavy accelerration or radio on. It happens when engine is cold and you have to drive slowly on 1st and second around 5-10 mph to hear it.

its not a fault or a problem........FFS!!!!!!

RIK said:
please explain to me why this is a fault

like i said before

Rik its a fault in the design. i doubt nissan set out to make a car then decided 'i know we'll make it go twang at 10mph, it'll be good'.

perhaps fault is the wrong word, maybe flaw is better. as fault suggests something is broke.

the k11 sills problem; we describe them as a flaw as they rust from the inside, not a fault.

that a bit better? i hear what your saying mate, if it was big problem i.e. affected how the car ran then nissan would recall them all, because it doesn't it can't be a fault. (i think thats what you mean)

:)

Just to let you know guys I am in the process of rejecting the car and request a full refund. Tbh the car is not up to my standard. I did not pay my hard earned money for a brand new car that has a design fault (Flaw for some).

160SR2006 said:
Just to let you know guys I am in the process of rejecting the car and request a full refund. Tbh the car is not up to my standard. I did not pay my hard earned money for a brand new car that has a design fault (Flaw for some).

It's only a little noise. I doubt they will give you your money back for that.

160SR2006 said:

buy a fiesta...youl love it when your doors rust in the first week and your engine mounts falll off.

what car is up to your high standards? btw

Kirton said:
It's only a little noise. I doubt they will give you your money back for that.

i think they would....i know the type

Back