Reply from K&N No filter to Fit Micra

Re my K&N filter fitting excessively tight on my car.

See thread below ' K&N tight fit" for the photo.

My car was imported from Japan, 1240cc AK12 chassis.
Same as UK 1.2
I sent a photo of the K&N filter (the square drop in replacement) fit, which I found excessively tight and hard to clip down. The plastic is still bending as with others on this forum have noticed on theirs. K&N replied saying that they don't have a filter to fit my car as it was imported from Japan. Huh, I believe it's identical to any UK 1.2.
In that case K&N don't make a filter to fit the Nissan Micra.

If anyone has fit one which is tight and bending the plastic down and is interested I can pass on the contact at K&N I have been in touch with.

No talk of refund, so I guess I'll have to take out the K&N and put in the Nissan Air filter.

Many thanks
Arthur

Note filter in No: 33-2060
Here is the latest reply from K&N

"You have vehicle that we have not tested on , we tested this filter for US model . I do apologize but K&N will not have filter for that application. I can suggest that you look at our universal line of filters."

Thank you

Sherri Sykes

Customer Service Rep

1(800)858-3333

[email protected]

Antony

Ex. Club Member
simple......dont use k and n .....ever!
the silly fluid they stick on their filters can cause all sorts of problems with spark plugs... it simply sucks it out as soon as you put your foot down rendering the filter as much use as not having one on there.

go for BMC or Green cotton....

BMC have won every Moto gp title since agostini and every Formula 1 world championship since 1994.... if thats not enough green cotton are the ONLY supplier to the WRC since 1998......

who uses K and N???...........grass trackers who spend £30 on a car and ###### the engine anyway...

green cotton have one listed, as do BMC.....
and theyre cheaper...

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
simple......dont use k and n .....ever!
the silly fluid they stick on their filters can cause all sorts of problems with spark plugs... it simply sucks it out as soon as you put your foot down rendering the filter as much use as not having one on there.
No it doesn't! Thats nonsense, K&N work fine, and are used on many cars (including mine) and have been for many years. I can tell you now, that they work MUCH MUCH better than many other (especailly foam) filters on the market.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
No it doesn't! Thats nonsense, K&N work fine, and are used on many cars (including mine) and have been for many years. I can tell you now, that they work MUCH MUCH better than many other (especailly foam) filters on the market.

i dont doubt that, but i have done studies at university that have proven time and time again that the filter fluid escapes after just 200 miles...... rendering the filtration properties of the k and n filter irrelavent.

they dont filter out the micro-scopic particulates that cause the major damage. BMC and Green cotton have a much tighter cotton weave wich means they dont need the filter oil and therefore dont ever loose filtration. the reason k and n spout rubish about being the "best filter in the world" is cos they dont have ITG BMC and Green cotton in the states... who we all know think that the world revolves around them...

dont get me wrong a lot of people use k and n without problems, but i have seen more than my fare share of "this filter doesnt fit" (including this thread incidently)

i would never buy a k and n knowing this.... i will only go for HKS Apexi BMC or Green cotton.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Your experience is completely different to mine then, also to many other tests I have seen.

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
K&N wouldn't have got so big if they weren't any good, this isn't to say they are the best (personally I like Green Cotton filters) but they are pretty good to be a household name.

they dont filter out the micro-scopic particulates that cause the major damage. BMC and Green cotton have a much tighter cotton weave wich means they dont need the filter oil and therefore dont ever loose filtration.

If the particles are that small the engine won't be damaged by them.

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
all these diffrences in filters! why dont people just keep the standard one in? you spend like £30 on a panel filter to get a 4bhp gian (thats not even noticeable)....so they say imo its a gimic! same as uprated ht leads, and back box's...just there for looks and no performance.

all a filter does is filter out crap that you probs hardly enters the engine bay anyways and people say because the weaves are tigher makes it a better filter....imo wouldnt that make it harder to get air though? and a more open panel filter will get air in the tb quicker?

if people want big power just put an uprated manifold on or turbo!

thats my veiw anyways.

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
It is just for looks, but consider this: you get say 5BHP from an air filter and another 10 from a cat-back system, then you get another 10 from flowing the manifold thats 25BHP, which is noticable, it all adds up.
(BTW I made up those figures as I went along simply to prove a point.)
And you don't get an induction roar from the standard filter.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
You might see extra bhp on these filters if the ECU was remapped slightly to incorporate the additional air? Most people just wack them on, but the engine isn't going to know this is the case inless it's programmed in.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
K&N wouldn't have got so big if they weren't any good, this isn't to say they are the best (personally I like Green Cotton filters) but they are pretty good to be a household name.

If the particles are that small the engine won't be damaged by them.

ok then, every time you drive 1000 miles take a spoonfull of sawdust and drop it into your oil filler.

cos thats the equivalent of what your doing with a K and N.

the test we conducted were done using a flow bench through a tube and a measured ammount of sawdust and coal dust.... the Kand N performed the worst. least flow from the start, but picked up in the middle (lost its oil) and let through the most particulates.
the best incidentaly across the whole test period was the standard manufacturers paper filter...lol:laugh:

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Isnt the point of it being a performance filter though to make it less air restrictive, not to filter more?. The OEM is probably best at filtering because it's designed to filter the most, but flip side of the coin, it's the worst in 'performance (with regards to bhp & power)'. The K&N and others might filter less to improve the amount of air into the engine, but still filter out enough to do the job.

Squarepants, you need an induction kit on a turbo setup, so you're gonna get a K&N or alternative anyway lol.

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
OEM filters are designed with 2 things in mind, fuel economy and low noise.
Air filters aren't really that important in Britain, I would suggest using an OEM one in, for example, a desert as there is sand and stuff but K&N are all good for UK.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
thats if they fit... your missing the point, if a kand n doesnt even fit the application its designed for then whats the chances it doesnt meat any other requirements either?..

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
K&N shoulda stuck with their 'universal filters'. this way they didn't have to keep up with every manufacturers changes.
A filter not fitting one particular car says nothing about their technology.

Has anyone tried a K&N induction kit on a 1.6 SR or sports as now they are called? I was wondering if such a kit would make any difference.

there's no direct fit K&N for the 160sr, not a replacement filter, nor the fully induction kit. they exist for the 1.2 & 1.4 but not the 1.6 as it's a different engine /air box layout.
that said, they would accept a donor car for a week's worth of development in order to get an item to market. no one's bothered to date alas.