Replacing outer CV boots

Hey guys,

Both of my Micra's outer CV boots are split and grease is going everywhere, so I'd like to get them covered up again ASAP.

I've got the Haynes manual here and have read alot about this on this forum. But I've still got a few questions:

1. The manual says that the track-rod end needs to be separated from the steering arm with a ball-joint separator, but I havn't seen this mentioned here anywhere. Is it really necessary? Most posts here just seem to say that the driveshaft can be pulled out of the back of the hub carrier straight after unbolting it from the suspension.

2. Assuming I can get the driveshaft nut off, how difficult is the rest of the job? I'm pretty good mechanically.

3. Does this procedure involve losing any gearbox oil?

Thanks guys!

frank

Club Member
zfind

you can leave the t/r end on, if you put it on full lock
best to back the hub nut off with a breaker bar, with the wheel on the floor
hold the shaft in the g/box and "sharp" whack the outer joint off it
make sure the circlip is dead center before you whack the joint back on (else you,ll butcher it )

superls

K10 Tuner
yse them split ones that you glue together, they work reasonably well if done correctly

that way you dont need to split any joints or anything, you just need to take the wheel off if your unlucky

curtis

Ex. Club Member
yse them split ones that you glue together, they work reasonably well if done correctly

that way you dont need to split any joints or anything, you just need to take the wheel off if your unlucky

where you get them from?? that sounds like a really good idea!!

superls

K10 Tuner
both my locat motor factors stockthem, there a universal fit thing, there are about half a dosen sizes apparently, they just give you the closest one, thats what i was told wen i put one on our primera anyways

OP
OP
Z
Unfortunately we don't seem to have the universal glue-up versions.

Thanks for the tips Frank, does it matter which direction I lock the wheel? I guess it doesnt reall y matter.

maddave

Club Member (Trial)
I found I couldn't get a ball joint splitter in there, so ended up using a screw driver and hammer to get it separated. Worked a treat.

One think I would recommend though is, the guide on here says the hub nut is such and such a size. I went out and bought that size of socket only to find my hub nut a different size all together!! Pain in the butt!!

So measure the nut size before you start the job!

Different years used different nut sizes, also when you buy a CV joint kit the nut they supply is hardly ever the same size as the one you take off the driveshaft.

OP
OP
Z
Thanks for the ongoing replies guys.

As a stroke of luck, today I got two boot kits for $20 AUD, which is cheap - given Nissan wanted $230!!!

I'm going to have a go at it the next few days and see if I can't get them sorted. Hardest part is going to be getting the bloody driveshaft nut off.

As a side note, I've got some axle stands, but where can I put them to the hold the car up besides the jacking points? (I havn't got the rubber adapters that the Haynes manual shows).