Replacing driver's seat belt

I have a used seat belt (from a scappy) for my 1999 5-door GX and just before fitting it I noticed it seems to be "locked" in the fully retracted position. Is there a way to "unlock" it so that I can uncoil the belt?

It is the pre-tensioner type so I need to be careful I don't set off the airbag!

If anyone has replaced this type of belt, I'd be grateful for some tips and points to note.

Thanks.

You have to hold them at exactly the right angle (as it appears on the car). There is a small pendulum mechanism that locks it up.
You can take the side cover off to see this but make sure you get it right. If you take the spring cover off and it flys off then it's almost impossible to put it all back together.

You have to hold them at exactly the right angle (as it appears on the car). There is a small pendulum mechanism that locks it up.
You can take the side cover off to see this but make sure you get it right. If you take the spring cover off and it flys off then it's almost impossible to put it all back together.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I will see if the mechanism unlocks by holding the belt assembly upright as fitted on the car. I certainly don't want to disturb the internals as I probably won't achieve much except mess it up and/or lose parts, which would fly out, as I expected.

Any other tips or points I should be aware of, e.g. the correct order of fitting and the pretensioner device (I believe this is linked to the airbag)?

Thanks.

Replacement seat-belt now fitted. Not as easy as I first thought, a bit fiddly at times. An extra pair of hands was useful, if only to shine the light where it was needed. All ok now, though.