Replacing CV boot

R

roblatus

My wifes Micra has a split CV boot just behind the hub. How hard a job is it to replace this please? I assume if i remove the brake disc, then the hub itself it will not be too bad??

Also seeing as its MOT is due in a few months i intend to have a right good look around the car over the next couple of months to try and spot anything that needs doing before its MOT. Is there anywhere or anything specific i should check for?? I have already had a look at the sills as they had some welding last year, as has the floor, and they seem ok to me.

The car is a 95 1.3lx with 108k on it. I would like it to get through one last MOT then later on in the year it will be getting replaced.

Thanks again

Rob

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Boots are not too hard to replace, hopefully you have caught it soon an the joint will be ok, you don't need to remove the hub, just undo the big nut and then you can pull the driveshaft out of the CV, you can get split boots which require gluing together (but a much easier job to swap) but I have no idea how these wear.

OP
OP
R

roblatus

Boots are not too hard to replace, hopefully you have caught it soon an the joint will be ok, you don't need to remove the hub, just undo the big nut and then you can pull the driveshaft out of the CV, you can get split boots which require gluing together (but a much easier job to swap) but I have no idea how these wear.

Any idea what size the nut in question is???

Then i will make sure i have a spanner big enough before i start;)

I assume the nut is under the boot at one end of the cv joint??

Cheers again

Rob

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
IIRC it is a 23mm nut, it is the one that you can see if you look at the wheel face on, right in the centre, the one with the split pin in the thread of the bolt, be careful with this as you don't want to be having to go Nissan and getting a new one.

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
depending on year it can be 27mm or 30mm, but i think it's 30mm on your pre-facelift.
but is is a tricky and messy job to do if you've no experience with doing one. even removing the driveshaft from the hub can be a total nightmare if its seized in! and it's possible to ruin the shaft's threads if not done correctly.