replacing a 1.2k12 with a 1.4 k12 engine

OP
OP
L
i cant recall anyone on here swapping one, i would do some crosschecks on nissan4u first
frank if i change it like for like second hand is my ecu unit going to accept the new engine someone else has said you have to marry them up do you know what he means by this I have the option of seeing a engine running and then buying it that way im confident of installing it without having to take it back, do the engines come out of the front on a trolley jack??????
cheers frank.

frank

Club Member
i,ve never worked on a K12 tbh lauro, but i would guess that some sort of programming may be needed to get it running properly ?
you need to ask a technician at the local nissan dealers really

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
If you have the new ECU, ignition receiver and IPDM-thingy, it should be a straight swap I would think. They're the same engine family. An HR16DE would be a different matter perhaps :).

Belly93

to turbo or new lump :/ hmmm
You would need the key or chip from the key, the ring from around the ignition barrel and ecu, and unless you have access to a ramp the front will need to be removed to remove the engine, we usually drop them out the bottom at work, but if no ramp access that might not be easy.

OP
OP
L
You would need the key or chip from the key, the ring from around the ignition barrel and ecu, and unless you have access to a ramp the front will need to be removed to remove the engine, we usually drop them out the bottom at work, but if no ramp access that might not be easy.
Thanks for the reply I take it the key, ring, from the barrel and ecu from the donor car of a second hand engine how difficult to remove the ring from the ignition barrel??? if i fit a re con engine would the ecu need re programming and would it have to be done by nissan i have a code reader can the ecu be re programmed with this??.

Belly93

to turbo or new lump :/ hmmm
Thanks for the reply I take it the key, ring, from the barrel and ecu from the donor car of a second hand engine how difficult to remove the ring from the ignition barrel??? if i fit a re con engine would the ecu need re programming and would it have to be done by nissan i have a code reader can the ecu be re programmed with this??.
How difficult, im not sure as I've never removed one from a k12 before, and ecu reprograming can be done by anyone with the correct equipment but your best Bet may be a dealer,

I'd try just a straight swop, leaving your ECM to run the 1.4 engine, as for programing to engine if you leave batter disconnected which I would hope you would wilst changing engine all the self learns within the ECM should rest after long time disconnected from battery

I'd try just a straight swop, leaving your ECM to run the 1.4 engine, as for programing to engine if you leave batter disconnected which I would hope you would wilst changing engine all the self learns within the ECM should rest after long time disconnected from battery
Hi K12 fixer, I hope you may be able to help me, two questions re k12 1.2 2002
1. Can the engine be taken out from front leaving gearbox in ? I have all front off and need to replace timing chain, taking engine out may make it easier but do not want hassle of drive shafts etc.
2. Boot switch works when interior switch is pressed to unlock, but will not work otherwise, when pressed I can hear a bleep and as it opens boot when interior switch pressed I do not think it is the boot switch ?