Remote central locking + NATS

P

pbunyan

Hi, first of all, I'm looking to get remote central locking for my K11 1.0L 3DR celebration, and was looking at these kits:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120093519671&ih=002&category=75329

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Remote-Centra...109844468QQcategoryZ75329QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

together they should provide central locking and remote opening. after searching i still have two questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me:

will the door actuators work properly without the NATS chip near the lock? and how can i get the chip out of my current key and into the key on the remote key? will a key-cutting place be able to transfer the chip when they cut the key? or is it something i can do myself?

oh, and whileI'im posting, sometimes my key doesn't work in the lock, and ive found that the red bit (I'm assuming the NATS chip) has to be pointed down to ensure that the lock will open all of the time. is this a general thing, or is is something wrong? or could it just be caused by a worn physical key maybe?

anyway, thanks to anyone that replies!

Hi mate,

NATS has nothing to do with your door locks, just the ignition barrell side of things... for instance any copy key made of a NATS key will get you into the car but will not start without it being coded(chip)...

universal central locking kits are exactly that... they will fit into your doors alongside the original locking mechs but do not disrupt any of the NATS at all...

if you want remote central locking just get one with out the fancy blank key business...

but if you want them just get them cut, this will allow you entry to your car via all locks but you will still have to carry a NATS key to start it....

hope this helps...

oh, ok. thanks!

i was looking specifically for a keyfob with a blank key because it seems kind of pointless to have the keyfob open the car then find the key to start it. it does say that you can put your old chip in the keyfob. is there a way to buy new NATS chips and have them programmed with the same key? or pry the old chip out of one of my normal keys?

thanks again!

ok, sorry to double post, but some news.

the NATS chip is easy to remove, just remove the red part with tweezers, pliers, and its in there, with no glue or anything (in my key anyway)

also, neither of my keys worked in the ignition this morning (NATS problem probably) but i left it a while, then kept trying and it eventually worked and is now ok. Just wondered if its a sign of a bigger problem, or just one of those things?

Back