release bearing fitment

what is the best way to do it? i have a brand new one to go on my spare gear box ready to go on the engine, but the haynes manual confuses me slightly, put some high temp grease on the ear bits and then clip put them clips on these, grease them and then clip it onto the prong things right?

also whats the best way to line up the clutch?

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
I would use an extension bar with masking tape wrapped round it til its thick enough to go in and hold the clutch where it needs to be then bolt the pressure plate down.

OP
OP
will930
i see :p so what do you drop it into the end of the crank or sommin? as i just tried it out on my floor with the clutch and the middle of the main plate is wider than the spline on the friction plate

might have to just buy a tool lol

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
i see :p so what do you drop it into the end of the crank or sommin? as i just tried it out on my floor with the clutch and the middle of the main plate is wider than the spline on the friction plate

might have to just buy a tool lol

Kinda hard to explain lol Some kits come with a special alignment tool. Not sure which ones do though, but from previous experience of them, they aint the best.

OP
OP
will930
but the haynes looks asthough it has the clips on it already? and is it right to smother it in grease?
as i dont want any getting onto the clutch

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
I think you need to take the clips off the release bearing already in there and put them onto the new one

OP
OP
will930
i see righto that makes a bit of sense lol... well i have a whole lot of spares to try it with as i need the new box built and ready to bolt on.... i remember someone saying on here that they used a 15mm copper pipe to line up the clutch which i guess it lines it up with the fly wheel.

OP
OP
will930
alright mate cheers im guessing its a simple tool for a simple person cheers for your help still a bit lost with release bearing but ill smear it in grease and wiggle it in

pollyp

Club Member
real easy.
simply pop the device through the diaphram hole and through the clutchplate spline hole
turn the small dial to expand and lock the tool end to the clutch plate
centre the clutchplate on the pressure plate
tighten the big cone dial to hold the clutchplate centred against the pressure plate
install PP onto flywheel
unwind the small dial to release from clutch plate hole
remove tool

superls

K10 Tuner
all i used to do was grease the shaft where the bearing sits, and put a bit on the clutch arm tabs, then move the clutch arm to about half way ish then the bearing should just slide ao, a bit of jiggling ma be needed, but there not difficult to fit, its kind of hard to explain if you havent got the gearbox in front of you.