Refussing to start... What is up with it now?

Hey guys, been away for a while but I'm back and urgently needing help!

The Micra wont start at all and I don't know what to do? She was fine all through the snow and all the bad rain but for nearly 2 weeks now she has refused to kick into life. Litterally parked it up when I came home from work on a Saturday morning, then she just wouldn't start again after that, no indications at all!?...

I've had minor issues with her maybe twice before, but that was sorted by cleaning the spark plugs up and putting a drop of petrol down the T/B.

Now though I've got power and lights and everything, so not a battery issue, and the car is trying to turn over, sounding like a distressed seal, but just won't fire?

I've put new plugs in, taken the dizzy cap off and cleaned up the points and rotor (forgive terminology), all the HR leads seem fine and I've checked that no damp has got in near the ECU or anything...

Only conclusion left is that its the starter motor and/or the ignition switch... but I've got a stone chip drive so I can't jack the car up and obv. I cant start it to get it on the road to do so...

So does it sound like a starter prob or an ign switch? I read that if you change the starter you have to change the ignition switch anyway? Is that true?

Was considering all new dizzy, starter, switch and leads but wanna be sure what I'm dealing with first...

Please help!

OP
OP
odd_ball
any spark oddball ? tried a drop of petrol again ?

Tried the petrol, yeah... no joy :(

How would I be able to be certain of a spark? As said, new plugs put in...

Only thing I can think is perhaps with the extreme weather we've had here, and all the gritting, perhaps some salt and moister has gotten in somewhere and caused trouble?

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
remove fuel pump fuse, turn over a for a few seconds, return fuse to place, try again

remove ignition switch plug and by pass the switch, you'll need 3 way wire

if i aint miss'd anything pollyp relayed me

when you turn the key to ACC:
-barrel connects the black/white wire (12v live) to the white wire (clock backlight / radio / ACC relay1 for cig lighter & wipers / IGN Relay2 for heater fan)

when you turn to IGN:
-barrel connects the black/white wire (12v) to the white wire (accessaries)
-connects black/white wire(12v) to the green/white wire (IGN Relay1 for instrument cluster, demister, elec windows / ecu 12v power / injectors / ign coils / fuel pump relay)

when you start:
-barrel cuts off the white wire (accessaries)
-connects the black/white wire (12v) to the green/white wire (ecu/injectors/ign coil & fuel pump)
-connects black/white wire (12v) to black/red wire (starter),
-connects black/white wire (12v) to the red wire(tells ecu you're starting the car)

frank

Club Member
Tried the petrol, yeah... no joy :(

How would I be able to be certain of a spark? As said, new plugs put in...

Only thing I can think is perhaps with the extreme weather we've had here, and all the gritting, perhaps some salt and moister has gotten in somewhere and caused trouble?
put a plug in 1 of the leads and earth it on the engine to check for a spark mate

OP
OP
odd_ball
put a plug in 1 of the leads and earth it on the engine to check for a spark mate

Just been out to try that... It appears I have no spark... So are we talking a starter problem?

remove fuel pump fuse, turn over a for a few seconds, return fuse to place, try again

remove ignition switch plug and by pass the switch, you'll need 3 way wire

if i aint miss'd anything pollyp relayed me

when you turn the key to ACC:
-barrel connects the black/white wire (12v live) to the white wire (clock backlight / radio / ACC relay1 for cig lighter & wipers / IGN Relay2 for heater fan)

when you turn to IGN:
-barrel connects the black/white wire (12v) to the white wire (accessaries)
-connects black/white wire(12v) to the green/white wire (IGN Relay1 for instrument cluster, demister, elec windows / ecu 12v power / injectors / ign coils / fuel pump relay)

when you start:
-barrel cuts off the white wire (accessaries)
-connects the black/white wire (12v) to the green/white wire (ecu/injectors/ign coil & fuel pump)
-connects black/white wire (12v) to black/red wire (starter),
-connects black/white wire (12v) to the red wire(tells ecu you're starting the car)

Thanks for that Reg, had already tried the fuel pump fuse with no luck... The rest seems a bit too complicated to be faffing about with right now... I'll be off to work shortly, which means driving the dreadful auto clio... :(

Honestly, I've driven that thing 3 times and had to put petrol in it 4! It's cost me £40 in 3 shifts... the missus is loving it though as she runs it empty and numpty here fills it!...

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
remove ignition switch plug it is behind the key barrel,,one electrical type small screw holds it on.

then do a 3 way wire, made up of old speaker or any wire.
stick the one part of the wire into BLACK/WHITE plug hole
stick one part of the 3 way wire into GRREN/WHITE plug hole then you want to touch the free part of the wire to starter wire BLACK/RED in the plug socket, remove it immediately on start up.

you can see the wire color behind plug so its easy,

OP
OP
odd_ball
remove ignition switch plug it is behind the key barrel,,one electrical type small screw holds it on.

then do a 3 way wire, made up of old speaker or any wire.
stick the one part of the wire into BLACK/WHITE plug hole
stick one part of the 3 way wire into GRREN/WHITE plug hole then you want to touch the free part of the wire to starter wire BLACK/RED in the plug socket, remove it immediately on start up.

you can see the wire color behind plug so its easy,

So I'm guessing the other ends of the wires would be twisted together?

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
3 way wire

DSC01540.jpg

OP
OP
odd_ball
Right, see what you mean by 3way wire now... Any pictures of the plug I'm removing? Just took all the cowling off now... God, what a job, not looking forward to putting that back on!

So if it's not the switch would the next probable be the starter? How doyou know if the dizz is a duff?

And whats the engine bay fuse thingy?

OP
OP
odd_ball
the plug is directly on the back of the switch,unclips/pulls free

On the back of the barrel? I can't get it off, theres like a green rubber cover that kind of wraps around it and goes inside, imagine this is some kind of clip or something to keep it in place? I've got that out but can't get the actual plug out?

Reg said something about a small screw, I can see one but can see that it is actually stopping the plug coming out & certainly can't get at it to get it out anyway?

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
better to unscrew the switch then . one small screw,,one small star driver to fit.

i had to bend a very thin star driver bout an inch from the top to get in their

OP
OP
odd_ball
Ah fook it for now... not even sure its the switch... Off to work now anyway...

So I'm looking at Distributer £90+... Starter £90+... Switch at however much they are...

Plus my windscreen is cracked so theres £70 and I've got one wiper coz the linkage is goosed so theres a bit more cash too... Already bleedin skint... gonna be again next month too once pay day arrives... :(

OP
OP
odd_ball
I don't know anyone else with a micra & didn't really fancy paying £25+ for a scrap one that, lets face it, could be a dud before it even goes on the car? Problem is I'm also like quite far from any scrapers & my missus has her car all day so I'm kinda house bound... Lucky enough I work nights so theres no fighting over the car... Much...

Did a mod change the title of my thread?

OP
OP
odd_ball
I have a multi meter... That'll work, right? I'll have to see if I can get some time over the weekend to have a fiddle... Just choka at the mo with work & the house etc... If it rolls on past payday, which never comes quick enough, I'll bite the bullet & buy a new dizzy... Seems that that is the most probable cause? I will investigate though in the mean time!

Poor micra, she has been neglected as every month without fail something has gone wrong with the Clio so all my time & money has been going on that... Piece of poop, such a difficult car to work on but my missus is screwed without it as she can't drive stick... At least if we keep hers going we can both drive it... When it decides to work...

Anyway, enough of my anti Renault ramblings... Im off to bed!

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
one at a time

1 - fuel pump noise on ignition ?

2 - hairline crack in engine bay fuse , the main eng fuse.

3 - ignition switch broken up inside ,felt no love in 15 years, if you done the wire thing you would see how hot the switch becomes.

check them out,,fuse with the meter.

it was happen to my work's next shop. this guy who got facelift micra so its similar problem to you. i tried to check everything on his car. at last, i found out that he lost red program chip :rolleyes:

check with your keys if you got red or blue program chip....

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
it was happen to my work's next shop. this guy who got facelift micra so its similar problem to you. i tried to check everything on his car. at last, i found out that he lost red program chip :rolleyes:

check with your keys if you got red or blue program chip....

thats a scary story, i feel like epoxy glue on top of my key now on the red nats chip.

OP
OP
odd_ball
Frank, it just isn't starting at all, regardless of temp. I thought it was possibly due to damp or moisture perhaps?

JK, yes, the engine is trying to start & turnover but just not sparking. My key still has the red chip...

Reg, the fuel pump is still kicking in when the keys in. Which fuse/relay are we looking at in the bay? I've still not got the switch out, prob still worth considering changing it though, save it breaking down in future... With that, does it effect the startup, with it being NATS like?

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
if yours is nearly starting then distributor or switch

switch and eng bay main fuse is cheaper to check out first

frank

Club Member
Frank, it just isn't starting at all, regardless of temp.
yeh i know, hence my post.
you need to check the wires to the dizzy in that link i posted, before forking out for parts, and a nats problem will flag the mil light (sometimes flashing, and sometimes constant)
is the chain ok ? (dizzy turning)

OP
OP
odd_ball
Frank, I'll hopefully be carrying out those tests tomorrow so should have defo answer on the dizzy.

Guys, is there any other tests I can carry out to rule other things out, like this engine bay fuse... Which one is it & how can I test it?

Relating to my earlier post, does the ignition switch have owt to do with NATS? Like, if I change it am I not going to be able to start the car still?

Oh, and are there any tests I can do to rule out the starter motor?

As always, all advice & input much appreciated!

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Mine went from fine to non starter overnight, i suspect that was the coil in the dizzy that went. Never looked any further just swapped it out and away it went. :)

So yeah I'm with stani on this one.

OP
OP
odd_ball
Right, an update... I haven't done any tests or been near the car as the weather has been poop. General opinion on here seemed to be pointing more to the dizzy so thought I'd just maybe swap it out for a new one, especially as my missus just got paid & offered to buy me one...

So I've already looked last week & seen them for £90 & that's a full, new dizzy. Phoned my local auto centre just now & they had the cheek to tell me it was worth more than the car & quote me £300+ (forget exact figure but it was stupidly in excess of £300)...

So which is the more realistic price? How much have you guys paid & where from?

Stani1029

Club Member
Ill be at my garage tonight, ill have a look for a spare working one and call it £20 inc delivery? Will save you money in the end if it isnt that but going on symptoms it sounds certain!

OP
OP
odd_ball
Oh cheers! Is that a fair price, I mean, I'm not doing you out of anything am I? But on my earlier post, what exactly is the general price for a new one?

OP
OP
odd_ball
Oh cheers! Is that a fair price, I mean, I'm not doing you out of anything am I? But on my earlier post, what exactly is the general price for a new one?

OP
OP
odd_ball
Actually, thinking on it, would the dizzy breaking down effect fuel consumption because I sis notice my MPG was down leading up to it...

Stani1029

Club Member

Yeah course its fair im trying to help. ive looked and i do have one so you can have the one off my car which obviously works. Some of us on here were lucky to get proper new ones for £20, but i believe if you phoned nissan to ask youd be well into the hundreds!

Regarding mpg ive never noticed to be honest