Red Bulb for LED lights

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Thought i'd start a new topic rather than clog up Tom's topic.

right...just went and took some pics:

Heres the bulb holder on the back of the LED light:
25112009120.jpg

Heres the bulb removed from the LED light:
25112009121.jpg

Comparison showing its definately a 955 bulb:
25112009127.jpg

A comparison next to a Red 380 bulb:
25112009128.jpg

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
The 955 'head' is bigger than a 501...but the bottom 'spade connector' is the same size:

25112009130.jpg

So yeah...in theory you could use a red 501 :)

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Not really a 501 is a maximum of 5w where the 955 is 16w, Cheers for the Pics Chris. Looks like it's going to be a bit harder than I thought. Quick question though, the hole which the 955 goes in, is this hole big enough to withstand a normal 382 bulb? 26.5mm to be precise, lol.

I ask because I can get hold of plastic W2.1x9.5d caps (what the cap spec is of the 501/955) I could try and incoporate an LED 382 bulb and cement it to the 501 cap.

If not I'll tell you now Ring Automotive don't supply the 955 in any other colour.

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Well as I say I sucessfully used the led from the link I posted for a year and it was as bright as red as a normal fog light for the whole time i was using it. NeX also has the same one fitted.

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
The 382 is a bayonet type...while a 955/501 is a capless bulb. The hole in the holder for the bulb is a thin rectangle,enough for the capless bulb to push into

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
The 382 is a bayonet type...while a 955/501 is a capless bulb. The hole in the holder for the bulb is a thin rectangle,enough for the capless bulb to push into

I was going to remove the bayonet and plonk a wedge base to it, but if the hole is only small I won't bother.

I have to ask hoodedreeper, did you paint the bulb red? When I bought my LED lights the fog light is clear, so now on the hunt for a 955 red fog bulb.

MicraPRO

Part Of The Furniture
I have to ask hoodedreeper, did you paint the bulb red? When I bought my LED lights the fog light is clear, so now on the hunt for a 955 red fog bulb.
They don't make them :( myself and Jay were both looking for them last year just don't exist. Paint works trust... I've tried all manner of led and nothing is as bright.