Rear window heater element, rear numberplate bulbs and centre brake light not working

Hi guys and girls,

Have a small problem Various components on my rear boot are not working:

Rear window heater element,
rear number plate bulbs
centre brake light not working

I'm guessing it's a loose connection or break in the wire. Just wondering where do i check or how do i fix this?

Thanks in advance

car 1996 Nissan micra k11

Strange for them all to go at the same time, have you done any work on the car recently? carried anything heavy in the back seats/boot? Noticed any wet carpets or seats?

All controlled by separate fuses so not likely to be that, unlikely to be 2 bulbs and a heater element all broken at once

Most likely that the loom going to the rear of the car has been broken, maybe crushed or melted somewhere along the length of the wiring. The highest wattage component is the rear heater element so maybe that shorted out and took everything else bundled up with it when it got hot. The loom runs under the carpet to the rear, if I remember correctly it's on the passenger side. Follow the wire from the centre brake light under the boot liner and under the seats past the fuel pump towards the front of the car and see if you can see any melted wire insulation

OP
OP
A
Strange for them all to go at the same time, have you done any work on the car recently? carried anything heavy in the back seats/boot? Noticed any wet carpets or seats?

All controlled by separate fuses so not likely to be that, unlikely to be 2 bulbs and a heater element all broken at once

Most likely that the loom going to the rear of the car has been broken, maybe crushed or melted somewhere along the length of the wiring. The highest wattage component is the rear heater element so maybe that shorted out and took everything else bundled up with it when it got hot. The loom runs under the carpet to the rear, if I remember correctly it's on the passenger side. Follow the wire from the centre brake light under the boot liner and under the seats past the fuel pump towards the front of the car and see if you can see any melted wire insulation

Cheers mate, will have a look at the wiring, i say it is as you say a melted wire or a short/cut somewhere as the whole lot went. the fuses and bulbs are good. Thanks.

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Hi guys and girls,

Have a small problem Various components on my rear boot are not working:

Rear window heater element,
rear number plate bulbs
centre brake light not working

I'm guessing it's a loose connection or break in the wire. Just wondering where do i check or how do i fix this?

Thanks in advance

car 1996 Nissan micra k11
Definitely the very thin earth wire broken inside the grommet on the right hand side of the bootlid

Sent from my LG K11+ (yes I did buy the phone specifically to have a K11 phone, I'm that sad)

OP
OP
A
Definitely the very thin earth wire broken inside the grommet on the right hand side of the bootlid

Sent from my LG K11+ (yes I did buy the phone specifically to have a K11 phone, I'm that sad)

Cheers mate, will try find this tonight. where does this wire actually connect/anchor to. i might just run a knew one? Thanks in advance.

Cheers mate, will try find this tonight. where does this wire actually connect/anchor to. i might just run a knew one? Thanks in advance.
If the break is only small (and in the grommet as liam says) then you could just bodge the wire by cutting out the broken bit and soldering/crimping a new piece of wire a couple inches long in it's place

Not sure where the earthing screw is

OP
OP
A
If the break is only small (and in the grommet as liam says) then you could just bodge the wire by cutting out the broken bit and soldering/crimping a new piece of wire a couple inches long in it's place

Not sure where the earthing screw is

i opened the grommet, but can't see what wire is broken, was just going to run a full new length of wire, if i can locate where it is earthed and what one it is (what colour wire). Thanks.

i opened the grommet, but can't see what wire is broken, was just going to run a full new length of wire, if i can locate where it is earthed and what one it is (what colour wire). Thanks.
I'm not sure where the earthing points are, they might be in the manual but I had a job just trying to find pictures of the loom scrolling through the scans in the sticky at the top of the page

You could make your own in the boot. Drill a hole, scratch a bit of paint and pin a wire under it and run it through the grommet to the boot lid and the earth tabs on the components.

OP
OP
A
I'm not sure where the earthing points are, they might be in the manual but I had a job just trying to find pictures of the loom scrolling through the scans in the sticky at the top of the page

You could make your own in the boot. Drill a hole, scratch a bit of paint and pin a wire under it and run it through the grommet to the boot lid and the earth tabs on the components.

Appreciate the help mate, will pull out the grommet and try and suss out which one is the earth and run a "new" wire off that and earth on the boot as you suggested.

Thanks again.

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
If you are running a new wire then just any old screw in the body will do, but the earth point for the bootlid is behind the right hand rear light if I remember rightly