Rear Window Conversion

hi, i currently own a 2002 1.0 k11 micra vibe, i cant seem to find any roof bars to fit my car as the rear window wont open, its a pain putting bikes in the boot all the time, ive seen roof bars that fit a open rear window model is there a way i could change my windows to the open models, if so is the a site that sells the windows or another thread someone could link me to or any possible solutions,
cheers bryce:grinning:

Firstly, have a look on your car and see if it has the fixing points for the opening windows. The windows are a 3 point fixing, there are two fixings on the pillar near the upper seatbelt anchor (1 at top of window 1 at bottom) and one in the middle at the back of the window. They are a slot next to a threaded hole.
Find a scrap yard local to you with a Micra with opening rear windows. Can't remember what tools you'll need, but I reckon a phillips screw-driver, a small socket set and a 10mm spanner should do it. Remove the rear windows (leaving the 3 securing brackets to the glass so they don't go walkies) and don't forget to take the rubber seals from around the now glassless window hole.
I'm pretty sure the rear windows are bonded in, if so the glass will need the adhesive cutting to get them out (same as how front screens are removed), that'll probably be the hardest part of the job. All in all shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.
HTH

You can get roof bars for a 3 door k11 with fixed windows. I have looked into this extensively as I need to transport a kayak and a windsurf board.
There is a seller on eBay that does them for about £80 but I can't find any pics of it.
Also halfords do one but it costs near the £150 mark.!!
Let me know if you want any more details :)

This is similar to the halfords one
portlandbasin26-1-2008-38.jpg

cheers ive found the rack in the picture for 130 just not sure if its stong enough:glare: gonna have to try and find some opening rear windows if not

cheers ive found the rack in the picture for 130 just not sure if its stong enough:glare: gonna have to try and find some opening rear windows if not

the retrofit is easy bryce, a few members have done it, but you usually find that the captive nuts are missing from the inner frame/pillar (self tappers will suffice instead)

Back