Rear washer jet not working.

So the rear washer jet on my 1994 micra doesnt work, it never has done since I got it.

To clarify, to turn it on, you do just twist the rear wiper switch towards you until it flicks back to the centre correct?

The front jets work fine. Aswell as both wipers on the front, and the wiper on the rear. The car was sitting for 3 years before I got it and the front jets would shoot some brown sludge out when first used but they have since stopped doing this, presumably because all the crap in the lines has been cleared out from use.
I went out earlier and took the rear carpet up and took the clear rear washer line off from where it connects to the black line and still am letting it drain, alot of black sludge came out but the jet still didn't work. I don't think theres a bigger blockage inside since water is still coming out.

If I am not mistaken, both the front and rear jets use the same fuse so it wouldnt be that unless I am wrong, in which case, where and what fuse do I have to change? I can't seem to find it in any fuse box diagrams.

Thanks

for most cars it's just the same pump motor running both front and rear I think. Wipers on by twisting the thing to the desired setting (off, intermittent, regular, fast) and then pull the lever towards you to spray, rear one is the other twisty one to turn it on (settings are just off and on for the rear), and then push the lever away from you for spray

The pump motors aren't very powerful and even a small obstruction can block them and stop them water from getting out.

Since your front one works you can assume that there's no blockage between the reservoir and the pump itself, but check the pump to make sure both lines are connected to it and it isn't just spraying the water destined for the rear window into the engine bay

Since you have the rear line off the sprayer, try putting the end of it in a bucket and spraying it to see if it's the line that's the problem or the black sprayer head on the window.

If the line sprays out clear fluid then you know the blockage is the black sprayer head, and if it doesn't you know it's the line - maybe a pinhole leaking or just an obstruction somewhere.

I've cleaned out the sprayer before it's not difficult. It unscrews from the window (at least it does on a 1999) and then you just soak it in a bowl of washing up liquid to clear out gunk, rinse it off, soak it in vinegar to clean up mineral deposits, then I got a needle and a syringe with some water and just blasted it through every which way I could to fully unblock all the holes

Once you've got them all spraying, I'd take the reservoir off and give it a good washing out and empty it, fill it with screenwash (get the concentrated stuff that you dilute at home, and for the first filling leave it fairly concentrated, maybe to whatever ratio is closer to -15c protection) and then spray front and rear until you get the blue liquid coming out on your window, give everything a wipe down and consider the job a goodun

Last edited:
OP
OP
benji_
for most cars it's just the same pump motor running both front and rear I think. Wipers on by twisting the thing to the desired setting (off, intermittent, regular, fast) and then pull the lever towards you to spray, rear one is the other twisty one to turn it on (settings are just off and on for the rear), and then push the lever away from you for spray

The pump motors aren't very powerful and even a small obstruction can block them and stop them water from getting out.

Since your front one works you can assume that there's no blockage between the reservoir and the pump itself, but check the pump to make sure both lines are connected to it and it isn't just spraying the water destined for the rear window into the engine bay

Since you have the rear line off the sprayer, try putting the end of it in a bucket and spraying it to see if it's the line that's the problem or the black sprayer head on the window.

If the line sprays out clear fluid then you know the blockage is the black sprayer head, and if it doesn't you know it's the line - maybe a pinhole leaking or just an obstruction somewhere.

I've cleaned out the sprayer before it's not difficult. It unscrews from the window (at least it does on a 1999) and then you just soak it in a bowl of washing up liquid to clear out gunk, rinse it off, soak it in vinegar to clean up mineral deposits, then I got a needle and a syringe with some water and just blasted it through every which way I could to fully unblock all the holes

Once you've got them all spraying, I'd take the reservoir off and give it a good washing out and empty it, fill it with screenwash (get the concentrated stuff that you dilute at home, and for the first filling leave it fairly concentrated, maybe to whatever ratio is closer to -15c protection) and then spray front and rear until you get the blue liquid coming out on your window, give everything a wipe down and consider the job a goodun
Just been back out and I assume the line is fine since I had the rear line draining, my screenwash is now all gone so I cant imagine its leaking anywhere. I had alook in my Haynes manual for the fuse diagram and found it, it says that F23 (i think) is for the rear wiper and jet so I've order a set of fuses of amazon and will change it out tomorrow, although if they both share the fuse I don't know why one'd work and the other not, if that doesn't fix it I will take the sprayer off and give it a clean like you suggested.

My rear wash doesn't spray very good it did when I first got the micra.I'm not sure what to do with it since the jet seems to be hidden inside the rear shade or spoiler. I cannot see the nozzle.
Small tip though do not use when its frozen because the pump could be made of plastic parts and the fins snap.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
benji_
Been out again and cleaned out the jet, nout; replaced the fuse, nout; but I discovered holding the front ones and then twisting the rear nozzle changes the sound a little, is this normal or not?
When the sound drops in tone that is me twining the rear nozzle switch.

Maybe could be one of the T junctions blocked or the pipes that join at the junctions.
They would be a spot that would block easily.
Is just a guess and probably not much to replace.
I'm not sure about the rear ones but the front ones are easy to view/check.
Its worth a look.
Btw always make sure it has water or the pump won't be happy..

OP
OP
benji_
Maybe could be one of the T junctions blocked or the pipes that join at the junctions.
They would be a spot that would block easily.
Is just a guess and probably not much to replace.
I'm not sure about the rear ones but the front ones are easy to view/check.
Its worth a look.
Btw always make sure it has water or the pump won't be happy..

yeah i did put some water in it, tbh at this point i really cant be bothered, my guess is the pump is ****ed or the stalk switch

Luckily I think it's only an MOT failure if it's the front wipers and washer that doesn't work, so you're in the clear there and can just fix it when you get around to it in the future