Rear shock Problem from the one and only Preston Road rally!

Hi guys just got home from a great night on the Preston Road rally but unfortunately had to retire half way through the night due to my rear shock coming through the car and dropping out!
My question is does anyone have a good solution to beefing up the rear mounts? I have attached a pic of what happened ! Any ideas would be very welcome!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449415720.022083.jpg

its a common problem dan, the combination of stiffer shock and rust i guess, just weld some extra steel sheet around it

Yeh that's what I thaught shame that I didn't notice before hand as we were absolutely flying this year and suddenly, bang! Anyone know any good cheapish shocks to run for these kinda events

I've noticed on some pictures of micra's with weld in cages, the rear diagonals are taken right back to top strut mounts and a fairly robust chunk of steel welded on - looks like this could partly be why! I guess that takes impact up to the top of the cage too so reduces stress on the shell.

My dad has rallied an Opel kadett for 35+ years, and one of the first mods you would do to a competition one back in the 70's was buy a second turret top and seam weld it over the top of the standard one which was spot welded from the bottom, so you had 2 layers of steel doing the work! Worth thinking about as a preventative measure for my F1000 micra - thanks for posting!

Chris

Back