Rear hub - refitting advice please

Hi - newbie please be gentle... [ I can't find any posts etc. on this - please tell me if there's someting I've missed]
I bought a March 2001 Micra s 5dr, 66K. Driving home on Motorway noticed rumbling from rear so jacked up car on return and rotated wheels - seemed to be no problem. However on taking the O/S/R wheel off I could feel the hub was 'sticking' on rotation - So I bought a new hub from factors (£50ish)and hub nut(£4ish) from Nissan. Took dust cap off hub and was presented with a lock nut with the top rim hammered (messy - very badly) on to a flatted axle - no split pin/hole - this isn't the arrangement shown in my purchased '98 - 2002 Haynes manual or my dodgy 'Russian' manual -I'm having trouble getting hold of a K11 Nissan manual. Anyway, straightened the hammered top of the nut as best I could and tried to remove (30mm 1/2 ins drive heavy duty socket) but it was all jammed solid. I haven't got access to an impact wrench. Lubrication/heat/torque/blood/sweat/tears wouldn't work - next try was going to be a 3/4 drive socket and 1m bar but got fed up and concerned might break someting so I cut off the hub centre with a grinder to get at the hub locknut which I then sliced up to get off. So now the old hub is off, I haven't damaged the axle and I'm ready to refit. So....my question is.... does anyone know what is the correct/safe refitting procedure for this arrangement is ?
[ The K12 manual, seems to show a similar arrangement and indicates the necessary torques but it doesn't mention closing the top of the locknut onto the axle flats - I can't tell if the K12 has axle flats. I'm a bit concerned to simply torque the nut up and not have mechanical anti-rotation or retention of some kind so I guess I should close the nut onto the flats for the K11.]
ps. if anyone knows for a pucker english K11 manual out there please let me know.

OP
OP
S
hi Frank - thanks - The K12 manual is says 141-209 Nm so this fits in with the top end of this range - At this torque do you punch the rim of the lock nut onto the flats or do you put your faith in friction? - I don't know that the deformed rim wasn't what gave me all the trouble - it looked like somebody had taken a lump hammer to it. Now that the hub is off(and useless) its running free so I don't know if it had been over tightened and this was causing th ebearing not to run properly - can't really see how since tightning the nut doesn't see to compress the bearing.

frank

Club Member
i think mine had 2 flats ground on the thread spanner, and 2 flats in the washer to stop it turning, but apply some threadlock if you,re worried eh :grinning:

OP
OP
S
hi Frank - thanks - job done - whoever put the last hub nut on had eaten one to many pies - no way was 220Nm any where near the effort I was using to try and get the old nut off.