Rear hub bearing separated.....

Hi, the rear wheels were sometimes locking up when the micra had been parked for a week (or even 2 days), sorted it out with a few whacks off a wooden block and mallet, but thought I'd take the drums apart for a clean-up.

Managed to get the drum off yesterday but I think the bearing separated, as the tapered bearings were still on the shaft, and the bearing race was attached to the hub! I put it all back together and it's driven ok today, but should I be worried that these have come apart? i.e should the bearing be replaced? I only did one side as after this happened thought I'd just leave it alone!

Thanks,
Andrew

Attachments

• 20220418_093721.jpg
    20220418_093721.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • 20220418_093731.jpg
    20220418_093731.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
The bearing should be fixed inside the drum as far as I know.
If the item has separated into two parts you may want to get it replaced.
Usually they are only replaced when you can hear that they are worn.
Since its in two pieces and only one I would suggest a replacement you would need to visit a garage that can remove and replace should you not have nessesary tools to complete the job.
Others may have a different view from me but the part would not be that expensive to replace should you choose to diy replace the items.

A circlip should be holding the bearing inside the drum as one part maybe you can check if that is on the ehub it should be inside holding the bearing in a secure position.
The bearing can be remove with different methods, a bearing removal tool would be your best option and always avoid damage to the abs ring that is on the inner side.
Please bare in mind I have not changed one before but did buy everything needed to replace in future.
Would get it replaced ASAP for personal saftey if you are using the vehicle.

The locking up could be the drum check the inner side is nice and clean and smooth if not tidy up with bit of fine sand paper.

Bearing replacement should help them spin more freely if that was the problem.

Thanks for showing

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I might need to open it back up and have a closer look. It seemed to turn pretty nicely when I put it all back together, but since re-assembly I've looked on these forums and think I should have also torqued up the main nut properly as I didn't think about the risk of it being over-tightened and damaging compressing the bearing! I used a 30" breaker bar to do it but didn't go overboard....

When it was off I gave the drum internal a good clean-up with a drill and sanding attachment (making sure to mask off the bearing and give the bearing race a good clean afterwards....) the hub went on a lot easier than it came off!

Car is in daily use by the wife and kids, will have a look at what tools needed to replace a bearing, I'm pretty mechanically competent but don't have a hydraulic press etc.

Thanks

For bearings I got this cant really say this will work for you they do require a few spanners or ratchets
36x Car Press and Pull Sleeve Kit Bush Bearing Removal Insertion Tool Universal. on Ebay

Not used it yet but my plan for this kit is to replace the bushes on rear axle could work for most tasks bearing related.
bearing press.jpg

You need these replacing ASAP, apart from the state of what's left of the bearing the fact that it has split, will not only cause damage to the axle shaft and also the lack of grease and bearing seals will mean that any grease or fragments of bearing will get onto the brake shoe material and cause breaking problems. A local garage may give you a reasonable quote, because otherwise you may need a array of different tools to remove the bearings (both sides).:unsure:

Just say this notification in my junk email, quick update:

I took the hub off again and the bearing came off the axel this time and was nicely fitted back as one piece! It felt smooth and there was grease there so I put it all back together and will keep an eye (or ear) on it but it seems to be ok for now.

one photo shows the top ring that popped off which i guess is a dust/grease cover? It fitted back on ok.
Thanks for the comments.

Attachments

• 20220421_184728.jpg
    20220421_184728.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • 20220421_184723.jpg
    20220421_184723.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
Good luck finding replacement bearing from independent stockists, they all show roller bearing kits and no one can find the tapered versions as I discovered Saturday.

If anyone knows the part number it would be appreciated, stamped on the bearing is KV2535X and 04/16 but that doesn’t cross reference to any bearing.

Here is a link you can enter you model type and it will give you options.
You can then find the part number it may differ from what you have or what you are finding.
Might take a few mins to find what you are looking for but more chance you will find the correct part.
Not sure how much difference can be in a bearing but will certainly be more than one type for that same rear hub.

Here is a link you can enter you model type and it will give you options.
You can then find the part number it may differ from what you have or what you are finding.
Might take a few mins to find what you are looking for but more chance you will find the correct part.
Not sure how much difference can be in a bearing but will certainly be more than one type for that same rear hub.

Thankyou for replying.

The difference is just the found part is a needle/ball type bearing the, bearing on my daughters is tapered, meaning I can’t just knock out the old bearing and fit a needle/ball type as the taper is built within then brake drum unfortunately.

When I search them via ebay for my 05 none face-lift model micra I have already in my list the correct part I just now went via part number 43210.
This part number I found via the link.
What part number shows for your micra and what year is the vehicle.

When I check compatibility it's correct.

See what part number via the link you get and search for that instead of the number on the part you have removed as that part number may as you said not be available as a replacement part.

(As mach1 suggested earlier, should you not have the equipment to complete the task, a mechanic or garage should be able to change them for you at a reasonable quote)
This is the best option for yourself and the saftey of other road users.

This is a critical component and I have not changed mine, although it doesn't look to be overly complicated.

The bearing type inside the drum, is the only one I have seen being changed and are usually pressed out.

All the best for finding the part.