Rear Fog Light Not Working

I have a 1990 K10 1235cc Micra and my rear fog light no longer works, bulb and earth check ok but no volts on fog light wire, there is a switch on the dash with 6 wires on it one of which receives 12v when side/head lights are turned on but no output to rear fog light when fog switch is activated. Is there a relay involved and if so where is it located? I have a Haynes manual but wiring diagram does not cover my Micra.

Any help please?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
It's possible the stalk on the dashboard is broken. My fogs stopped working and I had to replace the stalk which sorted it.

It's possible the stalk on the dashboard is broken. My fogs stopped working and I had to replace the stalk which sorted it.
That is true, but in this case im not sure if its relevant :s (may be wrong )

According to the diagram the switch on the stalk sends 12v to the fog light switch which then if switched on , sends 12v to the relay, then to the light ( According to the diagram)
he stated in his post that the fog switch is receiving this 12v when the stalk switch is set to an 'on' position , so this means ( again according to the diagram lol )
that either the switch is broken ( he didn't say if the 12v came out when the switch was on )
A wire has broke
or the relay is faulty.

Lol i really dont want to sound like some kinda smarty pants.... just following that diagram :p

OP
OP
H
Hello Diskwiped and Arnold

Thanks for the info Diskwiped, I think that I have found the relay which is blue and taped to the wiring loom directly behind the switch, although I could only get at it from underneath. I am now resting my poor back and will attempt to part the relay.

All help much appreciated

Hello Diskwipe

Thanks for the diagram, however I just do not understand how it works, why have I 6 wires on the switch but the diagram only shows 2 and what is this combination meter?

I'm sorry that it mistifies me

Cheers

urm the 'Combination meter' appears to be something to do with lights on the dash, i also think the extra legs on the switch are also for some kind of dash lighting.
sorry i cant help more :p

Thanks for the info Diskwiped, I think that I have found the relay which is blue and taped to the wiring loom directly behind the switch, although I could only get at it from underneath. I am now resting my poor back and will attempt to part the relay.

Hello Diskwipe

Thanks for the diagram, however I just do not understand how it works, why have I 6 wires on the switch but the diagram only shows 2 and what is this combination meter?

Cheers
i thought the combination was the actual switch for switching the lights on. you know like cos it does the sidelights,low beams and main beam.anyway my foglight was knackered like yours with the same symtoms and it was the blue relay.but i cudnt get another one so i just wired in one from a k11 and that done the trick. oh and my back was in a kink after doing it.hth.

i thought the combination was the actual switch for switching the lights on. you know like cos it does the sidelights,low beams and main beam.anyway my foglight was knackered like yours with the same symtoms and it was the blue relay.but i cudnt get another one so i just wired in one from a k11 and that done the trick. oh and my back was in a kink after doing it.hth.

yeah theres the 'Combination switch which is just the little circular switch on the end of the stalk to select headlights/sidelights

then theres the 'combination meter' which seems to be some kind of dash lighting ( like the blue one to tell you that your main beam is on etc )

yeah theres the 'Combination switch which is just the little circular switch on the end of the stalk to select headlights/sidelights

then theres the 'combination meter' which seems to be some kind of dash lighting ( like the blue one to tell you that your main beam is on etc )
i stand corrected.thank you friend.(Y)

i stand corrected.thank you friend.(Y)

you wasn't wrong really :p
those wiring diagrams are over-complicated, probably so you look at them and go 'ZOMG forget it' and take it to the dealers :wow: lol
i find a good way of understanding the really complex ones is to imagine it as a road rather than wires, start at the Battery and make your way to the final part ( in this case the fog lamp bulb )

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
That is true, but in this case im not sure if its relevant :s (may be wrong )

According to the diagram the switch on the stalk sends 12v to the fog light switch which then if switched on , sends 12v to the relay, then to the light ( According to the diagram)
he stated in his post that the fog switch is receiving this 12v when the stalk switch is set to an 'on' position , so this means ( again according to the diagram lol )
that either the switch is broken ( he didn't say if the 12v came out when the switch was on )
A wire has broke
or the relay is faulty.

Lol i really dont want to sound like some kinda smarty pants.... just following that diagram :p

No that's fair enough, but based on previous threads and personal experience, It's usually the relay or the stalk that goes. The switch/wiring is usually ok

Hello Diskwipe

Cheers
Hi, would you have the part number off the relay? Need one myself but my one is not there. Thanks