rear door windows problem

T

trevorbrady

I'm not a Micra owner, but my girlfriend's mum has a 2001 5 door micra. Both of the rear door windows have come off their regulators inside the door, it seems they're bonded to the lifter channel with silicone or something and the silicone has dried up and come free of the lifter. It's still stuck to the window though.

I'm gonna scrape off the silicone and stick the glass back into the lifter channel using epoxy resin. is there a better way? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
To be honest mate Ive never really heard anything mentioned about problems with the windows, best thing is probably as u said and just replace the silicon, possibly using a stronger/better type of silicon...

OP
OP
T

trevorbrady

thanks for your input SRMB, I'll just dig into it and get it sorted! I'll let you know how I get on for future reference...

cheers!

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
thank to Dr Nokia because he had exactly the same problem with the front doors.

i think he just reglued them and all was well :)

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Yeah, this has happened to me, if you don't fix it with new sticky stuff then it can end up bending one of the arms and you will need a new unit, roughly 50 squid from NIssan, but as people say, new glue will sort it all out for you :)

OP
OP
T

trevorbrady

I got stuck into this last night. I pulled the door cards off, peeled away the plastic film, scraped the silicone adhesive that was left on the glass and smeared on some two-pack epoxy resin. Then the glass was re-positioned in the lifter channel and wound all the way up tight to leave it to set over night. I'm concerned that the epoxy mightn't stick, cos I could only get the silicone off one side of the glass (the side facing me, obviously) and therefore could only get epoxy on that side. Also the glass has a shiny surface, not great for adhesion. Fingers crossed it works. I'll find out tonight if it has or not...

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
it's not too hard to remove the window completly. you just unbolt it and pull it out.

you could try sanding the glass if it doesn't work