Rear brake drum info needed

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
During my last MOT the guy said the drivers side bleed nipple was broke so bleeding is not capable anymore on it. The car passed but he said I should get it sorted.

Will it fail next time or if they need bleeding will it fail?

At first I thought I need a new hub which didn't like the idea of, but since then I've been inside the brakes, am I right in that the nipple plugged into the brake cylinder, if so, can I just change this? Is it easy job?

This what I need?

Cheers

it wont fail the mot for not having a bleed nipple, but will for insufficient braking force caused by old/ contaminated fluid, the nipple is part of the wheel cylinder, and it is a doddle to replace, take off the brake shoes, disconnect the brake hose and if memory serves me correctly one bolt holds the cylinder on.

looks about right, the side facing you fits against the backplate so its not the side you can see whilst its on the car, the round black thing in the middle is the bleed nipple with a rubber cover over it, and a bolt hole either side of it.
different manufacturers have slightly different castings thats all.

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
sonic said:
and it is a doddle to replace, take off the brake shoes, disconnect the brake hose and if memory serves me correctly one bolt holds the cylinder on.
you don't need to remove the shoes. put a clamp on the flexi pipe or you'll get brake fluid everywhere. use a 'flared nut spanner' to undo the brake pipe or you'll knacker the nut with a normal spanner. then two 8mm or 10mm bolts to remove. the cylinder may need a little persuation to come off the back plate.
oh yeah, when you've got it off, don't squeeze the cylinder togeter or you could get a face full of fluid.
once you get it on you will have to bleed at least that side brake fluid, but go for it all to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
goldstar0011

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Excellent, cheers guys, if/when do get round to it will make a guide, my brakes are good anyways but best to do before I do get any problems