rear brake bias compensator valve after lowering for facelift models

Happy Chap

Ex. Club Member
Hi I read the guide re this topic but assume it is for pre-facelift models, do I need to adjust anything for a facelift?

I have issues with mpg and thought it might be rear brakes binding amongst other things which I am addressing.

Thanx for any ideas

OP
OP
Happy Chap

Happy Chap

Ex. Club Member
Thanx for the replies
I will have another look tomorrow but either by tightening the top of the spring or (the spring at the bottom is in a slot which at the moment is at the bottom) or by lengthening the slot down should do the trick?

Oh and by the way Frank big thanks I sorted my sagging doors and replaced both cv joints through reading your posts.

OP
OP
Happy Chap

Happy Chap

Ex. Club Member
Hi this is the mount at the bottom of the spring there is no bar as in the excellent guide which is why I am confused. Thoughts please
DSCF4015.JPG

pollyp

Club Member
with the car resting on all fours or driven onto ramps, u move that bolt to the lowest setting.
there should be a middle shaft through the spring which keeps it straight. loosen the nut at the top, the spring should now be pushing the lever arm up against the valve.
lower the nut till it stops then tighten is further by 2mm to pull the level away off the valve.

wehey

Ex. Club Member
I think this is a "must do" after lowering. I did mine yesterday after nearly crapping my pant doing an emergency stop!

A car pulled out in front of me. I was doing 40mph. Slammed on the brakes and the rear just locked up. I lifted off then broke hard again. The same happened. Massive screech and smoke from the rear tyres. I stopped just in time but the stopping distance was definately compromised!!

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
Interesting topic as mine is going to get lowered in a few days... Thank you for the pic Happy Chap... If you could take more pics to complete the excellent guide from Polly it would be nice !

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Glad you get some use out of the rear compensator wehey, I gave up adjusting mine years ago. Due to larger front brakes the car is quite under braked on the rear and needs proper bias control and/or a rear brake upgrade. Roll on individual master cylinders and brake bias control :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Happy Chap

Happy Chap

Ex. Club Member
So today I continued working in the street I am afraid so I measured top of rim to wheel arch jacked it up put it on axle stand then jacked up up the axle and got the same distance before removing the wheel.

First lowered the bottom of the spring 12mm bolt

DSCF4009.JPG

Then I loosened top nut of spring, access is difficult but I found a nissan open ended 10mm spanner only about 4 inches long which worked.

DSCF4013.JPG

Then I loosened off first before tightening until spring was tight against the arm then down 2mm

DSCF4014.JPG

Et voila, does this look right?

DSCF4015.JPG

My ex display suspension courtesy of Matt and Tein UK

Let me know what you think

I know this is an old post but I can't get mine to look anything like that. I don't think there is enough adjustment on the thread