Rear axle bushes

Hi all, Ive been tracking down some nasty clunks and rumbles from my suspension (2008 K12 Micra 1.2) and Im pretty sure now that the lhs rear axle bush has gone. I get an obvious clunk when I rock the wheel and I can feel movement there. I had hoped that the left and tight arms were simply separate arms but it seems I didnt understand the geometry if the car. Im faced with dropping the rear axle and trying to change the bush and that looks like an IMMENSE job. Has anyone tried it or have any advice? Can I change one side without removing the axle entirely?

That did occur to me after Id posted. I re read it and thought... Duuuh knicking when you shake the wheel....hmmm???.
On the list to check for today!

That did occur to me after Id posted. I re read it and thought... Duuuh knicking when you shake the wheel....hmmm???.
On the list to check for today!
Rear wheel bearings on the K12 do wear. I replaced mine when I got the car at 63K miles, due to the drone from the N/S one (but surprisingly very little play at that time). They are located in the rear drums VERY tightly, I needed to use a press to get the old ones out and the new ones in........

Hi all, yes I do have a worn bearing. Changing that seems straightforward as I do have a press, BUT I have worn arm bushings too so this is a job I will need to do although Im going to put it off. Id love to hear from some experienced bush pioneers here so has anyone done this and in particular...
Can you leave the hubs and shocks in place, pivotting the front of the axle down to change the bushes under the car? I only have ramps not a lift.
Whats the best way to remove the old bushes? Will they come out with a Draper press and pull kit or do they have to destroyed and cut?
Do they need any adapters?
Currently Im wondering about getting a used rear axle and changing its bushes before swapping the thing in case it all goes horribly wrong and I end up screwing up my own- although that does mean removing the axle entirely.
Advice appreciated.
Mike

You wont believe it but its only 47k. However all 4 shicks and both balljoints were gone!
Looks like quality of parts went down in the last couple of years of K12 manufacture? Bought mine, two years ago, 10 years old and 63K miles, with full service history, bills etc, put 20K plus on it since. Have replaced the rear wheel bearings and have fitted 160SR springs all round and Koni rear shocks, but the original ones were all OK. All other suspension components OK and AFAIK are original from new..........

Back