really stressed out! help please...

I visited mr tyre today to put a 4 branch mani on that I had and they quoted me 50 and I said that was fine. When he fitted it, it was blowing so he tightened the nuts to snap one in the engine by hand, first he used an air ratchet before it tightened full but the hand tightened it and snapped. They made me pay the 50 for fitting and said go to a local engineering firm to have it rethreaded and tapped which is costing me 100 to put right their problem...

What shall I do why do I have to pay 100 when it was their fault, any legal ideas or general ideas please???

Please help, Micka

You could go to the small claims court, think it costs about £60
or
You could get a lawyer to write them a letter stating you have started legal procedings to recover your costs after they broke your motor.

But yeah, you will proably have to pay the engineering company.
If you win at court or the letter works you will get your cash back then.

The mistake / error is indeed on their part and they are completely at fault for the damage caused to your car.

You should NOT have to pay for this repair.

You need to challenge this with the garage and try to come to some sort of comprise if they aren't prepared to pay the full amount for your repair bill. You need to think through carefully your approach and try and keep things friendly at first, as a last resort threaten them with legal action through a small claims court, I'm sure they will not want the hassle for a quoted £100 repair bill.

As a comprise you might be able to get them to contribute £50 towards the repair and for the amount involved I would probably accept that and put it down to bad luck.

Let us know how you get on......

If you get your £50 back from the garage and pay £100 for the threading etc. you will still only pay £50 which isn't that bad.
I suggest you talk to the garage and arrange with them to pay for the threading etc.
If not it's off to court :down:

Cheers for the support guys, I will pay the 100 for the rethreading and then get a legal letter written along with copies of the 2 receipts and send it to mr tyre headoffice. Then wait for their reply and then see if I have to pursue it any further. I think that's the way to go?

Cheers for the support guys, I will pay the 100 for the rethreading and then get a legal letter written along with copies of the 2 receipts and send it to mr tyre headoffice. Then wait for their reply and then see if I have to pursue it any further. I think that's the way to go?
You should still try and talk to the people in question to begin with.

One question, why take a car to mr tyre to have an exhaust manifold fitted..? they are not mechanics just fitters..! if you brought it to the garage where i work and the stud snapped (these things do happen in real garage life) then we would have sorted it there and then.. mr tyre is probably not equipped to deal with snapped stud situations and lets be honest would you really trust them with a drill near you car..! lesson learned.. take it to a propper garage next time..:grinning:

One question, why take a car to mr tyre to have an exhaust manifold fitted..? they are not mechanics just fitters..! if you brought it to the garage where i work and the stud snapped (these things do happen in real garage life) then we would have sorted it there and then.. mr tyre is probably not equipped to deal with snapped stud situations and lets be honest would you really trust them with a drill near you car..! lesson learned.. take it to a propper garage next time..:grinning:

they are professionals because they have Powerflow Built into mr.tyre where i live too, they fit screamer pipes, intercoolers, make their own professional ss exhausts. so excuse me where is the lesson to be learned?

i just advice not criticism!

Micka

Well obviously they need to go back to training school and learn how to use a stud extracter, i have worked in the trade for 18 years and i have seen the damage these so called proffesional fitters can do to a car. any muppet can make an exhaust with the right equipment, but its people like me who have to re-fit poor workmanship when they turn complaints away..

they are professionals because they have Powerflow Built into mr.tyre where i live too, they fit screamer pipes, intercoolers, make their own professional ss exhausts. so excuse me where is the lesson to be learned?

i just advice not criticism!

Micka

lol micka, you were blaming this garage and now you,re defending them :p
if they had pre-warned you that the threads were rusty and they might snap when the tried to remove them, then its down to you
but if they snapped one while fitting the mani (ie, overtightened it) then its down to them to fix ffs (FOC)

wow, you had your pants down! either a 12mm or 13mm spanner from halfords is about £6-7 and you could of done it yourself.

Might have to start my own garage up if people are prepared to pay £50 to fit an exhaust manifold.

I wouldnt go so far as to saying its that easy, people can have issues with snapping heads of bolts you know, im one of them hah,

Hope you get the situation resolved though maytey, keep us up to date.

I wouldnt go so far as to saying its that easy, people can have issues with snapping heads of bolts you know, im one of them hah,

Hope you get the situation resolved though maytey, keep us up to date.

Got my car back and it was worth it, it is very torque'y and I am very happy to have my little micra back in my life!

Paid 100 to rectify their mistake so tomorrow will get the headoffice address for mr.tyre as I cannot find it on the net, this is in order to draft my complaint letter to, so will keep you guys and girls informed! Thank you for the support

Micka

Thats good to know micka, yeah the exhaust gasses get bottlenecked at the stock mani pretty hard, its good to see your feeling the difference, and i most certainly hope you get refunded!

Back