Really bad fuel economy

T

Tesla

The Micra im driving at the moment is a 1.0l K10.

Something is at fault i think, this is why.

£20 gets me 25litres of petrol. This is 6.6 Gallons.

This amount of petrol gets me 120-130miles!

My dad's 2.4 Audi A6 does much better than this and the engine is 2.4x the size!

What can cause such expensive running costs?

Please advise,

Regards,

Chris

first thing to check is the timing. I would imagine that is way out. May as well service all ignition components at the same time. When everything has been checked and is within spec it should go a whole lot faster and be much better on fuel.

Ed

Sory Ed but I dont have much mechanical knowledge at all.
I am always willing to give it a go though and armed with a Haynes manual usually do OK.

Timing, how easy/hard is this to adjust?

When you say service all ignition components what do you mean? The spark plugs and leads are all under 6 months old.

The engine has only covered 33k so I dont think it is particularly worn but as its old i know that parts can perish. Having said that I cant notice any leaks. I dont think I would see them as it evaporates but surely would smell petrol.

Hi there!
Im having exaclty the same problem :( Last summer my car consumed like 0.5 l / 10km but now right above 1 litre! Thats weird! Ive changed all vacuum-"pipes" (i dont know the word in english for it :blush: ) in the engine room which was a good thing to do. But it still consumes too much :(

dont have ago at me for this but it may not be the car at fault here.

try takin the lead welly off ur right foot if u no what i mean lol, jokin!
but if u do tear-a5re around ur car will drink for fun

hughes_16v said:
dont have ago at me for this but it may not be the car at fault here.

try takin the lead welly off ur right foot if u no what i mean lol, jokin!
but if u do tear-a5re around ur car will drink for fun
You may have a point.

Because I learned to drive in a 1.6 fiesta, after going to the 1.0 micra it seemed to lack power. So when accelerating i usually have my foot near/to the floor then let it off when i reach desired speed.

Would you say to accelerate more gently?

I don't speed though.

yeh your fuel consumption will prob go down if u accel more gently!

mind u i have my foot to the floor when im accelarating as well in my k11 and it does drink fuel!

I was getting 120 miles for £10 (12 litres where i live) with standard wheels, but i've since put on some 13x6s which have a slightly larger rolling diameter (because of tyre profile) and are 2 inch wider. Since this wheel change i am now only getting around 90 to 100 miles to £10. Immediately after changing my wheels, my economy went WAY down (50 miles to £10), but i put my tyre pressures up nice and high, and got my tracking amended (my tyres were wearing unevenly, must have messed it up during change) and it came up again. Recently i've been using neutral as much as possible and trying to keep the revs down, and it has helped. As much as possible i avoid putting my foor to the floor, i find that sometimes you can lift off the gas just a little bit and still have the same acceleration, especially when going up hills.

Micra Jim said:
Whats speeds you guys go upto in 1st and 2nd before changing gear?

i change at around 15/20 into second, then into third around 30/40, then into fourth at either 40/55/60, depends on the traffic conditions, speed limits and how i feel!

Regardless of driving style that is shocking fuel consumption, ie something needs checking/setting up/replacing. Tesla, you should be getting double that mileage!

As Ed says, check the ignition timing and run through all the maintenance checks in your Haynes. If there are any that you don't remember doing, do them. That should see you right.

For the record the only time I see a difference in the fuel consumption due to my driving is when I try and do more than 80mph on the motorway :)

Had a fiddle this morning.

I have the IC based distributor so am I right in thinking I need a tachometer and strobe to adjust. If so how much are these to buy?

Checked all the plugs and they are spot on, as are the leads.

Could it be running to rich? If so what is the procedure to test this and then also rectify it.

Also I think the choke needs adjustement.

i usually change at about 10-15mph in 1st and about 25mph in 2nd. if i need to get some where quickly i will go up to 40mph in 2nd! :laugh:

Back