RE: knocking sound whilst steering?

Hi everyone, I am hopefully going to get the car looked at in the next couple of days but I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on my problem as I have no isdea about cars!

Whilst driving and turning right (steering wheel is roughly at a 90 degree angle) I can hear a knocking sound... it sounds like something is stuck to the tyre, and its hitting the ground in intervals (theres nothing stuck to it, I checked that ;) ) - if that makes sense (knocks are closer together if I go faster..)

The problem stops once ive straightened up, and doesnt happen when turning left...

any ideas?

Cheers,

Eve :)

sounds like cv joint aswel, if you look under the car or get your hand round the other side of the wheel there will be a rubber gaitor on the driveshaft ( a big metal bar coming from the wheel hub) check to see if the grease is coming out or the rubber gaitor is split

thanks guys,
my dad suggested that too and all my google searches seems to only come up with that...
so now, any idea how much something like that is to fix?

thanks guys,
my dad suggested that too and all my google searches seems to only come up with that...
so now, any idea how much something like that is to fix?

i would recommend to anyone that they have a go at fixing it themselfs. its a great way to save money, and you know more about your car, its good to know how to service your car and how to repair it, that way you don't rely on the garage who will umm and arrr over a price.

having said that it is a greasey job, and sometimes it is nice just to have it done. but i have never paid anyone to do my CV joints, i always do them myself so i cant tell you what it would cost.

i would recommend to anyone that they have a go at fixing it themselfs. its a great way to save money, and you know more about your car, its good to know how to service your car and how to repair it, that way you don't rely on the garage who will umm and arrr over a price.

having said that it is a greasey job, and sometimes it is nice just to have it done. but i have never paid anyone to do my CV joints, i always do them myself so i cant tell you what it would cost.

I think my dad plans on doing it with his mate (hes pretty much a mechanic, just doesnt do it for a living)... how much did yours cost to do?

Back