Re-hanging doors, ignition timing, better seats & exhaust...

pietro

Ex. Club Member
I need to re-hand my K10 doors as at bout 80mph wind starts to get through the seals. Is this an easy job and how is it done correctly?

I also advanced my timing, the car driver better in town but looses top end I think, will putting my timing back to standerd give me back my 95+ mph performance top end again or are my larger (13inch) and wider tyres slowing me down (if so why)?

I require better, more comfortable seats. I have tried all three micra ones including the super s ones and don't like any of them. What are the most confortable 3 door folding seats I can get from the scrappy? I understand I will have to modify the mounting brackets and have some spare seats to do this, however are some seats easier to modify than others? My interior is grey by the way, not that this really matters.

Also I want to reduce my exhaust noise with motorway driving, is there space to add a centre box and if so what diameter do I require and where do I fit this? I remember someone saying that the fiasta middle box would do; is this correct, or is the motorway noise caused by the engine and not the exhaust, I really can't tell?

Thanks all.

ps. If anyone is selling a good condition super s leather steering wheel please let me know. I am also affter some GLX silver colour coded bumpers if there cheap enough.

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
rehanging doors is easy mate ive done it myself on my own, but id recommend getting a mate to help simply replace the door pins and washers and that should do the job fine :) infact you dont even have to remove the doors if you do one pin at a time ;)

Mark

Ex. Club Member
- it might be your door seals mate as mine does this on the passenger side just look and see if your door lines up with the rear quarter and front wing, to adjust it you would have to undo the hinges and line it up and tighten them up again,

try it yourself mate and you will know for sure! set it to the standard setting and leave it as that is where it should be.

as for your seats its a micra mate not a bentley so if you have tried all the seats and are still not happy then you'll have to look yourself in a scrapyard. there will be loads of cars there so you can sit in them and try them yourself until you find a set your happy with.

as for your exhaust if it is all standard and it is working properly then it will not be loud, it will be almost silent on the motorway so check if its working as it should be, i.e not blowing etc.

just dont forget its a micra and some things are the way they are for a reason, trying to make it silent and comfortable like a bentley aint gonna happen.

if your after a super s steering wheel then you need to snap them up when they come up forsale as your not the only person after one, i've sold mine to micraskyline already.

if you want my super s bodykit then you can buy it for £100. its all mint condition, not smashed up front bumper or arches missing etc its all there the full kit.

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Thanks for the advice Speedle and Mark.

What is the difference between replacing the door pins/ washers or undoing the hinges to reallign the door? Also are there any problems when doing this, i.e. is it a two person job?

Top speed/ timing:

I will adjust the timing to see if it makes a difference and post the results.

Re seats:

I understand my car is not a Bently :) Need MTV to pimp my ride! However are there any ovbious 3 door car which should have very comfy seats, Honda HR-v comes to mind? Any other large three door car suggestions appreciated.

Exhaust:

I think it is the engine that I can hear working away at motorway speeds, can anyone confirm?

AMY

Official MSC Trader
The Recaro seats out of an RS turbo are nice, no idea if they will fit though.

The noise you describe might be a combination of the doors leaking and the road noise from the new wider tyres.

Door pins can wear and even bend over time, but you should be able to loosen the hinges and adjust them to compensate.

As for the engine noise, have you made any modifications to the induction system? drilled holes in the air pan or aftermarket filter? If it is engine noise then some sound deadening should help.

The advanced timing will give more power and economy at all speeds and revs as long as it isn't too far advanced. The loss of speed is probably due to the new wheels. As they are wider, you are will create more drag which may have an effect, depends how wide they are really. But most likely as you have gone up in diameter you are traveling faster than you think you are (the speedo is calibrated for the standard wheel and tyre diameter. Also you are asking the engine to work harder to turn the larger wheels which give a new overall higher ratio.

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
How hard would it to be to fabricate new seat mountngs, are some easier than others? I thinks the RS seats don't look comfy, I prefer these but there not 3 door! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4603272582&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1 Any other 3 door car suggestions appreciated all!

I have sorted the doors. Took the windows down and slightly bent the front top corners inward, now they seal correctly :) An easy fix!

I will try different timing settngs soon, at the moment I am about 2 degrees past what nissan recommends, however the car pulls like a train up to 60mph this way :)

I will look into the engine noise more closley too, I think sound proofing would help, but how would I do this?

Thanks

ps. Anyone selling a super s steering wheel or boss kit to fit the k10 and the standerd momo 6 hole steering wheels, I ask as I tried a mazda momo steering wheel but it did not fit!

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
i sat in a set of the makro £99 seats the other night i couldnt belive the quality of them they really are a steal, compared to other seats that are £200 each the beat them hands down they look to be very hard wearing, the recline on it is fantastic and they look awesome go get some of those mate ;) asuming you live in the uk ;)

S

superdai

hay guys i have the same problem with my doors anyone know the diamter and sizes of the door pins of a K10

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
superdai:

I have sorted the doors. Took the windows down and slightly bent the front door frame top corners inward, now they seal correctly An easy fix!

Speedle:

I don't £198 to spend on seats, wish I did! Looking for a £50 option! :)