Re: engine management light

Scouse boy

Buy & Sell Member
Hey guys, my car is a 97' SR and recently has been playing up. When driving I can feel it holdback and sometimes even cut out. It has happened 3 times and is doing my head in...grrr! anyway, the RAC have had a look and couldn't diagnose any faults although the engine management light was flashing :S

So I did the "2-pin" trick on the diagnostic reader and got 143 which I believe is fault with the immobiliser. This makes sense as it would cause the fuel pump to cut off, right? I have replaced throttle body, lambda sensor, HT leads, Sparks and thermostat (car was overheating) and heater matrix (it was leaking). Therefore my question is, what do I do to fix this problem? is there a way of doing it by means of DIY or is it a Nissan fix? either way im happy to do either...

thanks in advance for your answers and apologies for the essay of a quesion lol.

Craig

i think code 142/143 is injector fuse scouse boy (there,s a thread on the ilexa forum a couple of years ago iirc) :grinning:

if the heater matrix sprang a leak, check the ecu underneath is not soaked as it could've shorted the circuit and so trip the nats

randomly I have just been reading that on the web pollyp, definately worth taking a look. Its a pain as im trying to eliminate different areas and i havent found out the problem yet...grr. I need the car for Monday as im commuting to uni too, 120mile journey! thanks for your help :)

Pollyp you were correct, there was water on the ECU and a build up of moss... which has caused to it short-circuiting and it has lead to a hole in the board. where do I go from here? ECU repair or fit new ECU, wiring loom and key?

Pollyp you were correct, there was water on the ECU and a build up of moss... which has caused to it short-circuiting and it has lead to a hole in the board. where do I go from here? ECU repair or fit new ECU, wiring loom and key?

hey

i just dried off the ecu circuitry and cleaned with isopropel alchohol then spray under the circuit with some pcb laquer as prevention. this happened to me last year after rebuilding my grey micra when i hit a monsoon and water leaked into the ventilation and shorted out the ecu.

check my blog post #32 for the details n pics
warning, it's very pic intensive and may take awhile to load

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/35251-PollyMobiles-Rebuild?highlight=

Wow, thats an awesome blog mate, very comprehensive :) Im just concerned that the hole in the board may not be repairable. If so, where would I go from here? would I need to get another ECU, wiring loom and key or is it possible to transfer another ECU?
thanks, Craig

ya mean an actual hole? sounds serious. you have any pics any chance?

the nats loom has a seperate nats control unit hidden near the fan blower area for the ecu to check against the sensed key chip code. but i dunno if the nats ecu itself is specially programmed for each loom or if it could simply be swapped for another nats enabled ecu.

maybe Ed may know bout this?

You'll need a new ecu.

Two options,
1. I can supply an ECU that will fit and run for £100 + ecu cost.
2. You/I can supply an ECU fit and then code it to the car (I have to have the car to do this) Thats £50 + ecu

yes that^

actually forgot to mention, does urs have nats immobiliser craig?
if not, then it's prob a straight swap

Yeah it has the nats immobiliser dude, im going to search a scrappy before I try one of Ed's as cash is short this month. Have MOT, tax and insurance all to pay this month :(

i had the same problem got water in the ecu. dried it out but still didnt work. i had to get another ecu from scrappy and then get car towed with breakdown service to nissan to re code the key.

Back