rattle rattle! HELP!

M

mr-m

Ok I'm new to Micra's I have a 1993 1.3 auto 5dr with 23k on it.
It has developed a strange rattle coming from rear of car the noise only seems to happen when car is moving on a straight almost flat road. I thought it was inside so have removed back shelf, folded seats down, removed spare wheel and hardboard cover still no joy. not being to familiar with Micra's I have only had quick look underneath can't see or feel anything obivious.

If anyone has any ideas please help. :confused:
Thank you.

is it a rattle or more of a knocking if its a knocking its most likely to be the antiroll bar links if not them check the brakets that hold the roll bar on as they can make the same knock just wrap electrical tape around the lip of the bracket that goes in the axle

Thanks I'll check that out in morning , just curious when I was looking underneath noticed on L/H/S just infront of shock was a small spring valve of some sort, is it something to do with the suspension
Cheers

If you are looking behind the rear wheel then that sounds like the brake balance valve to me.
Roll bar drop-links are your most likely cause as said ^^, but what kind of rattle is it?

The noise is like a hollow tapping noise not loud enough to hear over the radio but it sound like it is inside the boot area but i've emptied the boot and taped anything that could move.
Had look this morning underneath all seems secure anti-roll bar links have no vertical play and when I tried to wobble them no noise noticed the foam/rubber bushes look a bit old and tatty but seem to be ok, what I did notice however is that brake valves spring and rod when wobbled sound very similar to the noise I'm getting.
Thanks to anyone who helps.

i had 4 rattles last week. one was a worn out door hinge, fixed, replaced them with £5 hinges from the scrap yard rather tham £40 ones from Nissan, another was the parcel shelve, got the bits that hold it down from a 2001 K11, there re-designed, now ive got two rattles left, one from the rear back and one front the front, annoying!!!

could be your exhaust? knocking on panhard rod bolt.

Ive got this prob..

remember.. if youve got your full cars weight doing the knocking it will be conciderably louder.. also anything knocking on the cars body will reverberate throughout the car and give the illusion of the noise coming from somwhere else...

kristian

pretty certain my rattle/tapping is not the exhaust have grabbed rear pipe and given good shake, I am pretty sure it's that brake valve's spring or rod vibrating need to find out if it is adjustable of try small peice of tape to act as a pad to stop it tapping. anymore ideas on things to check are welcome
Thanks anyone who contributes

mr-m said:
The noise is like a hollow tapping noise not loud enough to hear over the radio but it sound like it is inside the boot area but i've emptied the boot and taped anything that could move.
Had look this morning underneath all seems secure anti-roll bar links have no vertical play and when I tried to wobble them no noise noticed the foam/rubber bushes look a bit old and tatty but seem to be ok, what I did notice however is that brake valves spring and rod when wobbled sound very similar to the noise I'm getting.
Thanks to anyone who helps.

I don't think that there should be any movement in that, will have a play with mine tomorrow, hollow noise to me sounds like something banging onto the chassis, is there anything dangly under the car? Also, have you had someone in the boot to try and locate the noise?
Craig

if you look at the spring there is a plastic bush the spring is mounted on with the rod running through it the rod is approx 5mm dia but the bush/mount has approx 7-8mm dia centre not sure if thats right. As for getting someone in the boot will try to do that tomorrow.
Mark.

Back