random and intermitent failure of brakes on 2004 54 Micra S

hello,

at the begginning of June I had new brakes discs and pads put on both front corners of my 54 micra s and just the other day i was driving to work and the brakes completly failed pulling upto traffic lights - as the lights got closer i decided to stamp on the brakes a few times which seemed to make them work so i carried on driving and brakes were fine. My boyfriend has since drove the car and the same happened to him! I have had the car in the garage (which did the front brakes) and they have checked the system for any air and there is none or no leaks and the mechanic says the back brakes are just fine. He has driven the car round a fair bit and no failure for him. He has recommended I change the brake server but has said that this may not solve the problem. Does anyone have any recommendations or has it happened to anyone else and if so what did you do to fix it? He has quoted £150 for changing the brake server but i don't want to be shelling out cash if it won't fix it especially since i travel to work on the motoway at peak time - don't really want to be crashing! my abs light on the dash is not on so would a diagnostic check be able to tell me what is wrong so we can fix the right thing first time?

any help would be much appreciated

Claire