Raising K11 and Fitting Larger Tyres

Here's a question; I now have my K11 and want to raise it a little.

I'm not sure if I can find a raised suspension setup, so I was thinking of fitting larger tyres.

It's come with 165/65/14s - so I'm thinking of fitting 4x 13" steelies, and putting 175/70/13 tyres, which should give me 5mm of lift or so. If I fit 175/75/13s that would be 23mm difference, and if I fit 175/70/14s it would be 30mm (just a few quick numbers for my brain really).

How much can I get away with without having to cut the wheel arches and still not scrape on bumps/rocks/offroad?

Regarding the 13s, did these only come as space-savers, or where K11s ever fitted with 4 of these as stock?

(finally, is there a buy/sell area on this forum? I can't seem to find it!)

Thanks,
M

www.willtheyfit.com will make it easy for you to calculate space requirements for your wheels.
Micra K11's came with 13" wheels as standard, from the introdction in 1993 (earlier in the UK?), and until the 2nd facelift around 2000 (depending on the market probably?).
Standard tyre size was 155/70R13.t

I saw some suspension raising blocks on eBay a while ago. Try making some wide searches for Micra suspension parts - maybe also on the german eBay.de. I can't recall where I found them. They were just some kind of blocks to fit on top of your springs, to kind of "stretch" the suspension/ride height. Don't know if it will work well.

Would be good fun to have a raised Cross-Micra type of car. Thought about it myself a couple of years ago. :)

Raising a k11 is surley gonna result in it rolling over at a corner? they're pretty high and boat standard?

Would be cool to see it done though :)

OP
OP
Spinal
Thanks - not going down the spacer router, I did that on a W202 years ago through the Sahara and ended up badly...

Much easier fitting larger wheels and keeping as much of the suspension at stock...

I now have a set of extra 13" steelies, and a car that drives straight(ish) so will get cracking soon on lifting it... also need to find a sump guard...t he only place I saw selling ready made ones wants near £300 for one :s

M>

OP
OP
Spinal
I was thinking...

Did Nissan do the usual "diesels have bigger springs" jobby on the K11?

If so, are the 1.5d front struts uprated, and will they be a direct fit on a 1.0? Or do I just want the 1.5d springs, and fit them to 1.0 struts?

M.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Shocks n springs off a diesel are slightly stiffer but not longer giving a higher static ride height

Rear springs are all the same
Rear diesel dampers have a higher oscillation ratio than standard petrol model dampers

All micra equipment is interchangeable

Smaller wheels will counteract your raised suspension, leave the standard 14s on

Last edited:

h701micra

Deactivated Account
This was a polo 6n diesel setup holding up a heavier GA16 in a lighter K10 so will balance to be the same as a K11.. very excessive but an idea if you wanted to go higher. Mine was too high that the drive shafts were at their limits so was unusable in reality
1411976487696.jpg

OP
OP
Spinal
Shocks n springs off a diesel are slightly stiffer but not longer giving a higher static ride height

Rear springs are all the same
Rear diesel dampers have a higher oscillation ratio than standard petrol model dampers

All micra equipment is interchangeable

Smaller wheels will counteract your raised suspension, leave the standard 14s on
I'm fitting smaller wheels, but bigger tyres - 175/70/13 looks like the best contender at the moment (5mm bigger than stock R14 tyres). Partly because I want the reinforced sidewalls, partly because of the extra ride height... but mainly because they don't make off-road tyres to fit the micra!

My worry about raising is the driveshafts - so the stiffer diesel springs may do the trick... though maybe fitting all round diesel shocks may end up slightly overdamped...

Thanks!
M

OP
OP
Spinal
Bringing this thread back - how do I go by raising the rear? The rear axle is quite low to the ground...

The front I'm putting some monroe shocks with diesel springs, so nice and easy... the rear I'm a bit at a loss with. If only I could turn the axle upside-down...

M.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Now you've said that get a spare axle and flip it, I'm sat here thinking what could be the problem with that.. spring seats need some adjustment and the shock mounts want remaking the other side but thats no problem, nor is the panhard mount

OP
OP
Spinal
Right, started to look for parts to buy now... really struggling to find from springs for a K11 Diesel... Any suggestions/ideas?

OP
OP
Spinal
Checked that, but all the listings have the same springs for both the petrol and diesel ones, which isn't what I need.

After some googling, these seem to fit the diesel model, but aren't advertised for the petrol, so should be right.

Front Springs:
KYB RA3936
Sachs 998 281
Monroe SP2729

OP
OP
Spinal
Ended up ordering Sachs shocks (gas) and KYB springs...

Shocks on amazon (oddly the cheapest place) and springs on a random German site... if all goes well, I'll post links here.

Hi mate, any progress with this? Doing the Mongol Rally this year in my K11 micra and keen to get a bit more ride height and fit some sturdy commercial tyres!

OP
OP
Spinal
Edd, what team are you on? Papu here from the facebook group...

New shocks/springs fitted, not just waiting to pick up a hub nut from my dealer to refit the hub...