Radio Signal thingys...

G_Man

Ex. Club Member
Anyone seen those things that plug into the iPod where it creates a radio signal so you can tune into it on your car stereo and listen to songs off your iPod thru your car speakers? Jus curious as to whether they do something similar for phones?? I have a sony ericsson W800 walkman phone and have loads of songs on there but wondered whether there was anything similar made so i could play songs off my phone thru my car speakers?

Cheers

R

runaway-robot

dont think it is out yet for phones, probly have to wait awhile... since each phone has a diff input/output :) its Airplay (well one make) for the Ipod

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
as far as i knew these were illegal as its broadcasting on a radio wave that you do not have a licence for?!

R

runaway-robot

not in every contry....in the UK tho it is lol

my mate had it, and some charv pulled up listening 2 galaxy (super LOUD) lol so he tuned into galaxy, and put some classical music on :D lol was so funny

D

Dan_K11

i think kirton has got one of these things. i'll ask him to post about it, if its any good or not.

M

Monkey

its an FM Modulator,

any modulator that broadcasts over 0.5w (IIRC) is illegal as you need to buy a licence (in the UK) anually to use this item.

the ones that are legal are crap, the sound quality is poor.

you can get then for your phone, Car Baby was the first in this country.

There are two types of FM Modulator
Over air and in-line

Over Air
how an FM Moduator works is its basically a tiny FM transmitter, like the BBC use for radio 1 etc, it transmits a FM signal on a suposidly un-used frequency. you then tune your radio in to it. i personally dont like them, ive used then before and the quality was sub-standard at best. plus the fact that other people can tune into your signal, thus halfing the quality going to your unit, it use up alot of battery power (unless you pay £20+ for a car charger.) the other rhnig is volume, a FM Modulator will not/can not normalise the volume and bass/Mid/Trebble settings for you. you will have to make sure everything is flat on the iPod when you get in the car and then use the settings on the head unit. it can be tricky to get the right balance to stop distortion but it can be done, but IMO its still bad quality

In-line is a little bit better sound quality, it pulg direct inline of the aerial ti the back of the Headunit, and sometimes can also power the Ipod, Halfruads do a revo for £30 that can do this but i still odnt like them as the Headunit can not control the item. you still tune your Headunit to a frequency but no one else can tune in to it, this is one way to get round the 0.5w legality as it needs less of a signal to push the sound down the cable

i prefer hard wired in, cos then most Headunit will also control the IPod as well, and it will normalise the volume Bass, Mid and Trebble setting on the iPod.

if you have the iPod in your car and it is not attached to the dash securely and you are driving whilst changing tracks you are breaking the law, and if a copper see's you it the same penalities for holding a mobile phone

M

Monkey

detox said:
i couldent believe there illegal!!! seems so mad!!!!

Its a law from the 60's that they wont lift, its to stop pirate radio station's basically, or to make the illegal with out a licence. if they make an acception to FM modulators whats stopping a clever bloke using one to broadcast his radio station using one, is their mentality. yep i know its stupid

detox

euro member!!
i know it is mad!!!! but let's be onest when the police pull you over there not going to be arresting people for it!!!! LOL it would be good to see!!!

M

Monkey

detox said:
and radio has problems with signel even at that range!!!!

what you got to remember is that if you buy an over air FM Modulator the signal has to go from inside a negative earthed car body to the areial out side the car, it has to fend off any other type of interference from your car and surounding area (taxi's, Buses, other FM modulators) because of the output being so low it looses quality.

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
G_Man said:
Anyone seen those things that plug into the iPod where it creates a radio signal so you can tune into it on your car stereo and listen to songs off your iPod thru your car speakers? Jus curious as to whether they do something similar for phones?? I have a sony ericsson W800 walkman phone and have loads of songs on there but wondered whether there was anything similar made so i could play songs off my phone thru my car speakers?

Cheers

You can get one for the W810i, so I assume that it will be compatible with yours, look on the sony ericsson website.

detox

euro member!!
Monkey said:
what you got to remember is that if you buy an over air FM Modulator the signal has to go from inside a negative earthed car body to the areial out side the car, it has to fend off any other type of interference from your car and surounding area (taxi's, Buses, other FM modulators) because of the output being so low it looses quality.
cool but i am still not doing it!!!

M

Monkey

James said:
What headunit do you have G? You can get an Aux-in adaptor for all Pioneers, and probably some other ones too

only on the pioneers with Changer controls.

99.9% of all H/Us with changer controls will take an aux in, some can cost up to £50 that will give you a twin phono input.

then you need the cable between phone and H/U. IIRC your phone has a 3.5mm Jack on it?

the new kenwood 43XX MP3 player one (cant remember the number) comes with a cable that plugs into the changer socket and give you a 3.5mm jack the other end as standard (ive got one)

OP
OP
G_Man

G_Man

Ex. Club Member
Hey....i got the...

Kenwood KVT-920DVD head unit, check it out, my computer is pap so i cnt find a link for u :)