Racing harnesses and boobs!

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
yea i put boobs in the title so more people would read it....sue me.

basically i am getting some 4 point racing harnesses for the micra, but then i got thinking about my gf in the passenger seat,

when i last had a crash i remember how much the belt cut into me, it really really hurt, and it was a 3 point across the middle of the chest.

but 4 point harnesses on girls would go over their breasts and not between them like the usual 3 point ones, i would imagine in a bad crash, a "well off" girl may find herself with some kind of upper body explosion, and possibly covering the interior of the car with silicone, which is very difficult to clean....

is there any fix for this? i was looking at some 6 point harnesses that sit higher up like aircraft ones, but thats the best i can find.

When I had my harnesses in, my gf, sisters or mum never complained about them being uncomfortable in the chest department, quite the opposite they found them more comfortable (but I never crashed with them)

Do they make crash test dummy's with boobs? we could run some tests then.

i don't think they do which is weird,

When I had my harnesses in, my gf, sisters or mum never complained about them being uncomfortable in the chest department, quite the opposite they found them more comfortable (but I never crashed with them)

thats the thing, i think they would feel much more comfortable, but in a crash they would do a lot more soft tissue damage

Didn't know Iris had falsies Nex ;).

lol nope she doesn't, but there must be at least one example of a "enhanced" girl crashing with a 4 point harness, and then exploding everywhere.

I run 6 points Nex & the novelty of doing them up soon wears off, id go with 4 point but always with harness pads stops them digging into you then :)

Speaking as a woman I would have thought Iris would be ok Ralph :) Hopefully the chances of crashing are quite small, so all she would get in a crash would be some bruised boobies for a while :)
They're pretty pliable, they will go any which way within reason, certainly no explosions will be happening ;)

Speaking as a woman I would have thought Iris would be ok Ralph :) Hopefully the chances of crashing are quite small, so all she would get in a crash would be some bruised boobies for a while :)
They're pretty pliable, they will go any which way within reason, certainly no explosions will be happening ;)

yea i really hope that we just don't crash, but when me and Joe crashed we got cracked ribs, thats the kinda forces involved and i imagine it to be worse on soft tissue. but yea maybe they can be "relocated" out of the way in the event of a crash lol

I'd recommend harness pads too, or just keeping the regular passenger side seatbelt in place

hmm got me thinking, racing seat or harness "belts" seems abit primative n focuses high pressure points along the thin strap.
what if you were anchored to the car & seat via a wrapping vest or bodysuit thats attached to the seat back/chassis?
simply jump in n zip up into the bodysuit?

the suit spreads the pressure over the entire front torso surface area and is anchored to the seat/chassis from all round the edges so might be more secure, comfortable, safer and stronger?

just an idea:cool:

hmm got me thinking, racing seat or harness "belts" seems abit primative n focuses high pressure points along the thin strap.
what if you were anchored to the car & seat via a wrapping vest or bodysuit thats attached to the seat back/chassis?

the suit spreads the pressure over the entire front torso surface area and is anchored to the seat/chassis from all round the edges so might be more secure, comfortable, safer and stronger?

just an idea:cool:

Would have to be quick release in case of a fire hazard!

i like a vest idea, as stated it would need to be easy to remove, but certainly something that spreads the weight out would help a lot. a vest could also help with all directions of travel where as seatbelts only really work in a front to back situation

Haha, I hear what you're saying Ralph, Iris will be fine in a multi-point harness ;)

The only thing I have to say on the matter of seat belts is;

Road car - OEM seatbelt + airbag
Race car - 5 point minimum, (preferably a 6-point), harness + HANS.

I got some cracked ribs when I crashed my K11 however this was more to do with me hitting the steering wheel with my chest as the seatbelt was a bit late (thankfully cutting in before my face met the windscreen), maybe had I been better endowed it might have cushioned my impact a little bit!

As for a zip-on vest, it sounds like a good idea however might it be a bit restrictive? I know you should be concentrating whilst driving, but I often find me leaning about the car (particularly, reaching forward to stick the bloody satnav back to the windscreen after a pothole or rough patch of road has knocked it off) For a vest it would probably have to be fairly snug to work, and how would it accommodate different body sizes?

I got some cracked ribs when I crashed my K11 however this was more to do with me hitting the steering wheel with my chest as the seatbelt was a bit late (thankfully cutting in before my face met the windscreen), maybe had I been better endowed it might have cushioned my impact a little bit!

As for a zip-on vest, it sounds like a good idea however might it be a bit restrictive? I know you should be concentrating whilst driving, but I often find me leaning about the car (particularly, reaching forward to stick the bloody satnav back to the windscreen after a pothole or rough patch of road has knocked it off) For a vest it would probably have to be fairly snug to work, and how would it accommodate different body sizes?

i meant for racing/track applications only.
each vest could be tailored to the individual? just like how the seat is custom tailored to the driver.

i meant for racing/track applications only.
each vest could be tailored to the individual? just like how the seat is custom tailored to the driver.

Ah thats quite smart. And sensible too as you're probably at more risk of death on the track!

As the suit is tailored already thn simply seure the suit to the seat with a quick release system, job done. Velcroe anyone?

ah good point, utilise the fire suit.
it'll have to be secured to the chassis via several anchor points around the suits outer silhouette so that the impact force of the body is evenly distributed across the front of the suit and then straight backwards into the chassis rather than towards a single central anchor point which'll try to squeeze the body

zips are not recommended, not guaranteed to be strong enough to withstand the forces.
this is all only just theory.
only real crash test developments can say if it'll work or not.

All I say is if u crash and she has sore boobs. Gives a awesome excuse to rub and kiss them better for her lol ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you wouldn't want to use one that someone else had just passed some gas in though. and what about really REALLY fat/thin people? i suggest something much simpler. cover the seat in velcro, and the passenger with the other side.

interesting topic though, as my standard 3-point belt cracked my sternum (chestplate, the fused bit of bone between the ribs) in my last crash. i wouldnt have minded but it wasnt even my fault!

Nex, I've got harnesses and new seats going in the Glanza but I've been doing some reading into them this week. Apparently, fitting harnesses without a roll bar / cage is likely to cause spinal compression in a roll over type crash, and obviously you lose the rear seats. We kinda talked about this already on FB, but I've decided now to probably fit standard seat belts with my buckets.

Nex, I've got harnesses and new seats going in the Glanza but I've been doing some reading into them this week. Apparently, fitting harnesses without a roll bar / cage is likely to cause spinal compression in a roll over type crash, and obviously you lose the rear seats. We kinda talked about this already on FB, but I've decided now to probably fit standard seat belts with my buckets.

Just to add onto Arnolds point harnesses work best when the sholder belts are mounted at an angle as close to horizontal as possible & through the purpose built holes in bucket type seat, even better for them to be are wrapped around a latteral rollcage bar...

In the event off a roll the lap & crotch belts hold you into the seat & sholder belts stop you from moving forward rather than trying pull you down which could cause damage to your back...

where are you reading this Arnold? because i am not sure that is right,

the only difference between a normal seatbelt and a harness is the extra mounting point to restrain your other shoulder. its better because you don't twist in the event of a front end crash.

there should be no reason for spinal compression if the seatbelt is mounted properly, the only problem is when the seat becomes a directional change for the belt, for example if the belts were mounted to the floor then they would change direction by 90 degrees via the seat, which then makes the seat effectively the point of load in a crash, and the seat is not structural in a crash so the seat will fold up, crushing you at the same time.

a roll cage won't actually affect the harness performance in any way, other than giving a proper place for you to mount them. the cage will stop the car from deforming, but no cage and stock belts won't be any safer.

one idea which i am doing in my car, (i tried to tell you on facebook but i think we were cut off) is to have a beam across the back of the car between the two rear seatbelt mounts, a bit like a rear strut brace. attached to this is two eye loops that the harnesses clip into. that way if you want the harnesses you just clip them in to the eye loops mounted behind the rear passenger head rests and front seats. then if you want rear passengers you take out the harnesses and use the stock seatbelts. it does require fabrication, but i think its the best of both worlds.

Ah i see :) you think if i fitted one of those it could be used for harness mounts?

no you need extra support to prevent it rotating in a crash, google "harness bar" to get an idea of what i mean

to give you an idea of what you are dealing with (and this is very rough maths) in a 30mph crash, if your car was to stop instantly with no give in the chassis or what it crashed into, every 1000kg in the car, becomes 43,000kg

in other words you weigh approximately 43 times your normal weight at only 30mph IF you stopped totally dead.

the harnesses and mounts have to be able to take that kind of weight,

yep exactly, real roll cages (not show cages) and factory seat belt mounts are all rated to take that amount of load and will support harnesses. you can in fact lift the whole car by its seatbelts, that is how strong they are.

as for if they make a harness bar for micras, i doubt it, but one for something like a corsa or glanza might be close enough to fit without much modification, or someone clever could make one,

i know a lad that has made custom cars in the past one being a skyline pick up :)
35078_134999493187327_100000318309852_253757_1660246_n.jpg

ill give him a shout if and when it comes to it :) cheers for the advise

woah that is awesome! yea he should be able to fab something up for you no problem.

btw do you have 3 doors or 5? because with a harness bar in a 3 door you still loose the back seats as you have to go behind the seat and under the bar and there isn't room for that in the micra. also it can be scary for rear passengers as there is a big metal bar right in front of their faces, in heavy braking its not a fun thing to smash your nose on.

3 door but would possible remove rear seats wouldnt mind doing track days and bits and pieces but i need to get the car ready first and get some cash

3 door but would possible remove rear seats wouldnt mind doing track days and bits and pieces but i need to get the car ready first and get some cash

if you are removing the rear seats then you might as well mount the belts to the rear seatbelt mounts

Where are you reading this Arnold? because i am not sure that is right,

Was reading on the net about it mate. I wanted to find out the best position to mount harnesses as I was looking to retain the rear seats. Most websites referred to this spinal compression stuff without a roll bar. I'm not an expert on the subject, but if you googled around you'd probably read numerous posts about it too. As long as the seats hold me in then a standard belt should do me fine. You see standard belts fitted to top of the range ferraris etc so it works for them! & I can't be hassled with the insurance price hike for having a roll cage

Was reading on the net about it mate. I wanted to find out the best position to mount harnesses as I was looking to retain the rear seats. Most websites referred to this spinal compression stuff without a roll bar. I'm not an expert on the subject, but if you googled around you'd probably read numerous posts about it too. As long as the seats hold me in then a standard belt should do me fine. You see standard belts fitted to top of the range ferraris etc so it works for them! & I can't be hassled with the insurance price hike for having a roll cage

fair enough man, what about this: http://new.minimania.com/part/NMC1205/Cg-Lock-Seat-Belt-Tensioner-Each---Bmw--Mini

its a little gadget you attach to your stock seatbelt, it keeps the lap strap tight and prevents it from recoiling. it would actually make a difference in a crash as it would pre tension the belt.

This is one of many articles I was reading about, have a look - http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/correct-harness-fitting. I'm quite happy with my standard seatbelts, they lock up if jolted forwards suddenly.

there is some good points in that link, but some of them are a little misleading:

a harness will prevent you ducking down if the roof caves in, but the chances of the roof collapsing would only be if you fully rolled the car at some speed. if you just flipped over in a ditch the roof should hold pretty well.

also mounting to the rear seatbelt points is ok, as it is in the fitting instructions of most harness kits, and also if you look at any crash test slow mo you will see that the rear wheels come off the ground as the car tries to flip forwards, this means that you lift up out of your seat rather than moving horizontally forward. i have been in a couple of crashes where i remember fully lifting out of the seat about 45 degrees, and so you want the harness mounting angle to be closer to that. harnesses are almost never mounted at a perfect horizontal angle, the dip downwards usually.

but the over all point in the link was that harnesses belong in race cars with all the other safety features, the points they made about it being hard to look over your shoulder is worth noting,

and if you are happy with your stock belts then thats fine, in my opinion, getting proper bucket seats would be much better for holding you in place.

Back