Quick suspension question

Hi,

I am looking at a pair of cheap front micra coilovers that give 60mm drop, which I am hoping, when installed along with a front ARB and reinforced drop links, will make the handling considerably better.

I currently am on stock dampers (never been changed) and 35mm lowering springs.

Is there any obvious downsides to have 60mm drop up front and just a 35mm drop at the back?

(I can't go any lower at the back than my current 35mm due to having oversized tyres which already scrub the arches when theres passengers in the back, and I cba spending 60-70 pounds on an adjustable panhard rod, which I would have to if I go lower than 35mm at the back).

EDIT - someone bought them before I could!

Last edited:
Yes there is a downside, lowering your front suspension also lowers your front roll centre, generally further than the centre of gravity, increasing the distance between them. If you imagine the roll centre as the pivot point and the centre of gravity as the end of a lever increasing the distance between these gives the cars weight more influence, it can roll more despite the lower centre of gravity.
Pollyp made his own ball joint spacers to correct this problem on his car.
Here's a video that explains it on another Macpherson strut vehicle:

Yes there is a downside, lowering your front suspension also lowers your front roll centre, generally further than the centre of gravity, increasing the distance between them. If you imagine the roll centre as the pivot point and the centre of gravity as the end of a lever increasing the distance between these gives the cars weight more influence, it can roll more despite the lower centre of gravity.
Pollyp made his own ball joint spacers to correct this problem on his car.
Here's a video that explains it on another Macpherson strut vehicle:

Thanks for the advice - I didn't know about any of this.

Its a good thing I didn't buy them then.