Question regarding K12 timing chain problem

Hi, I wondered if anyone could offer advice on which years' K12s suffer from the issue of timing chains breaking easily? I've heard about this problem a lot on the forums, and wondered whether Nissan eventually solved the problem on later models?

I'm thinking of getting a '55 plate 1.2s...

frank

Club Member
they dont actually break, i think that the long length of the single chain means that the cam sensor goes out of sync with the crank sensor after a moderate amount of wear, and that after the early problems they used a better quality chain :)

they stretch due to poor service schedule or lack of services the acid in the oil attackes the links in the chain and they stretch, mostly on early models ie 53/54 advoid ones with no service history i say

frank

Club Member
they stretch due to poor service schedule or lack of services the acid in the oil attackes the links in the chain and they stretch, mostly on early models ie 53/54 advoid ones with no service history i say

if its acid in the oil and poor servicing, why did it mainly affect only the early models fwn, i suspect some BS on nissans part personally

Hi all....
My ongoing saga with my K12 - fault code was p0340 cam pos sensor which i changed but still not start - engine wants to fire up but wont. changed sensor still no go - left car standing for 3 weeks - then put old sensor back on and car started albeit a little eratic. took it for a little spin then back home no problems. went to start 30 minutes later and no go. so my question is when I changed the sensor do I have to reste the error/managemnt light off before the new sensor is recognised. I am not 100% that it is the cam chain issue but thinks it may be a dodgy connector - any sugestions will be appreciated - I just want my car back :-0 bo hoo

thanks

nissanmicrak12

Ex. Club Member
hi i had the same on mine, the longer you go without an oil change the more strain it puts on your timing chain thats because the oil gets thicker .......... hence why it stretches , but your problem sounds completley different to a timing chain problem , it was o4/54/05 reges that had the problem till a different metal for the timing chain was sourced. i paid a canny bit to get mine done with two full services in the past year now its running sweet again even got that winey sound when doing 30 in 5th like it did when it was new lol

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
i recently changed someones timing chain on their k12, and the parts come to £250 from nissan and i charged £250 to change it and had it done in a day ( ex nissan mechanic ), where as the local nissan dealers want £1300 to change them!

I've being servicing jap and non jap cars for nearly 20 years, and have never heard of acid in oil attacking the links or chain. :down::down:The main causes I have come across of timing chain problems are lack of servicing, bad quality in materials/ manufacture, and using the wrong grade of oil affecting the auto tensioner. :down::down: (Y) I agree with Frank there does seem to be more than a little verbal diahorrea from Nissan, sorry I mean the official line from the gestapo at Renault (S*** frog motors)(Y)

i recently changed someones timing chain on their k12, and the parts come to £250 from nissan and i charged £250 to change it and had it done in a day ( ex nissan mechanic ), where as the local nissan dealers want £1300 to change them!
Been told I need new cam sensor and chain cars only done 65.000 miles should it need chafing yet

My Nissan micra 1.2 2004 k12 needs a new cam sensor and chain at 65.000 miles is this normal as I thought the chains lasted longer than belts