Q. How To Cure Steering Vibration?

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Now i know when going low this tends to happen more often than not but no matter what i do it persists.

Can anyone a little more experienced explain to me just how to stop this as it is terrible doing long journeys. (over 60mph)

After having the wheels on and new tyres they were balanced and tracked.
perhaps the garage only tracked it to normal spec?

Wishbones?
Also noticed that the steering heads left on acceleration and braking, which i gather is yet another seized caliper. could this be the entire problem maker?

Any help is greatly appreciated as i need to be wobble free for what is gonna come next! :p

frank

Club Member
have you tried running each front wheel up to 70 with the corner jacked up shaun ? (like i did with my 12 inchers sat morning to check they did,nt shake the car @ 90 at the pod :grinning:))

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
have you tried running each front wheel up to 70 with the corner jacked up shaun ? (like i did with my 12 inchers sat morning to check they did,nt shake the car @ 90 at the pod :grinning:))
Knowing my car the jack will go through it lol
just jack up one wheel at a time? and it won't go down the road?

frank

Club Member
Knowing my car the jack will go through it lol
just jack up one wheel at a time? and it won't go down the road?

yes mate, 1 side at a time, i used to jack the rearmost mount on the wishbone, but cant get my jack under any more lol, so i use the front crossmember corner now

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
am confused still...
how high should i jack it?
why not make me a useful video frank! :p
i take it you don't sit in the car and drive it just let it build up speed whilst in gear?

frank

Club Member
am confused still...
how high should i jack it?
why not make me a useful video frank! :p
i take it you don't sit in the car and drive it just let it build up speed whilst in gear?

:grinning: just lift the wheel off the ground shaun, then handbrake on select 4th and ease the clutch out, my 2 x 12" ones both had a slight vibe @ 40 on the speedo which faded to virtually nothing @ 60, and drove mint (Y).
most imbalanced tyres will start to shake @ around 40 and shake like mad @70 :eek:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
:grinning: just lift the wheel off the ground shaun, then handbrake on select 4th and ease the clutch out, my 2 x 12" ones both had a slight vibe @ 40 on the speedo which faded to virtually nothing @ 60, and drove mint (Y).
most imbalanced tyres will start to shake @ around 40 and shake like mad @70 :eek:
and if it isn't the tyres? :(

will do this tomorrow seeing as it should still be nice out.

baguete

Site Supporter
Same problem here Shaun, tried 4 sets of different rims all well balanced, cant be that for sure. I will use Franks method to check if anything is bent. But what can explain that the steering goes to the right while accelerating and to the left on lift and braking? New wishbones were fitted a year ago and didnt solved the problem...

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Same problem here Shaun, tried 4 sets of different rims all well balanced, cant be that for sure. I will use Franks method to check if anything is bent. But what can explain that the steering goes to the right while accelerating and to the left on lift and braking? New wishbones were fitted a year ago and didnt solved the problem...
Possibly brakes then. as i have just done 'THE FRANK METHOD' and i can't seem so see anything wrong apart from hearing a disc brake scratch everyturn. makes me think seized caliper. :(

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
i used to have a shake at m-way speeds. was my track rods and wishbone, 130-000 and OUT
disc's off ,drill wire brush all contact surface hub to disc disc to wheel-------behind wheel get flakey? hit it with the drill wirebrush

i just done dremal tool'd wirebrush'd the pad carriers inside out,,,,,,,,all 4 "o" them

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
i used to have a shake at m-way speeds. was my track rods and wishbone, 130-000 and OUT
disc's off ,drill wire brush all contact surface hub to disc disc to wheel-------behind wheel get flakey? hit it with the drill wirebrush

i just done dremal tool'd wirebrush'd the pad carriers inside out,,,,,,,,all 4 "o" them
Wanna come do mine? lol

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
im sure i could do it myself. the rubbers on the wishbones look absolutely knackered anyways. wheres the best/cheapest place to buy them links if possible Z

baguete

Site Supporter
Did that too and it shakes like mad at 80kmh on both wheels, swapped the rear wheels to the front, same story. :doh:

I will get new trackrods (or better, change to PAS, have one kit with new trackrods) and repair some wishbones, will report later...

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Did that too and it shakes like mad at 80kmh on both wheels, swapped the rear wheels to the front, same story. :doh:

I will get new trackrods (or better, change to PAS, have one kit with new trackrods) and repair some wishbones, will report later...
What will changing to PAS do? because i do have it lol

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
see mine seems fairly smooth throughout up until 60/65...
thanks for the vid though Frank!
want this sorted asap :(

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
was it the same maccy-d reject who balanced them again shaun ? :eek:
Nope, however you know how sometimes it's always the obvious things you forget to check...
Two words. AIR PRESSURE.
my tyres were all different pressures. adjusted them all to 32psi and ta-da no more serious vibrations. i mean there is still some vibration but no where near as bad as it was also i have a clicking going around roundabout now from the front left which indicates CV joint?

davey1991

If its not scrubbing, its not low enough.
Sounds like it, best way to check, find a car park and about 15miles an hour go full lock left it will make a constant clicking, do it the same right as well.
Its always the adjacent side so if it clicks when going left its the right joint.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Sounds like it, best way to check, find a car park and about 15miles an hour go full lock left it will make a constant clicking, do it the same right as well.
Its always the adjacent side so if it clicks when going left its the right joint.
yeah click on the the right turn front left...
Why does everything seem to go out once...
noticed a little bit of hesistation whilst revving through the gears which was the throttle body last time :(